Canadian Hunters Forum Sponsors

Rumor Mill again about guide only

Discussion in 'Canadian Hunters Forum' started by KID CREOLE, Jan 25, 2011.

1. CNWD

CNWD Senior Refuge Member

I agree with both of you guys Kid and Mitch, I am referring to as I stated when there are multiple groups over a the course of the season hunting out of one farm yard it can be perceived as guiding or outfitting. I am sure there are good friendships made over the years too.
    As for the laws that canada might make, we all will have to obey them and if the country loses out in a small amount of revenue from it so be it.
    From what I am told from legitimate outfitters that I do know personality there is no short supply of NR to fill there openings, this might vary from region to region and will depend on the operation that they run too.

2. KENNEDY63

KENNEDY63 Elite Refuge Member

It is an international resource - and you can start by reducing your daily bag limits, restricting hens shot, reducing the native take (especially in the spring) and the like...

If we put all of the wintering grounds to the plow, your hunting would get pretty thin in a hurry. :h

Tit for tats aside, I like the idea of the "limited license", but I would move it to a "pay to play" - keep the full yar license, but when you run out of leg tags - you buy more for a couple hondo.

I also would be hesitant to go back if a guide was required. We have our "farmer friends" who also come down here for turkey and pheasant hunting.

If guiding were outlawed on both sides of the border, I could see the trade a hunt stuff flourishing.

3. gdluck

gdluck Elite Refuge Member

Thats an ugly one. So if the CO interpereted as such would he not have to do the same for a guy that was hunting with 3 other guys and had filled his limit? So he would be there with all the guys but not shooting. that could be ugly unless more clearly defined no?

4. Chris Benson

Chris Benson Elite Refuge Member

Status natives have more rights to hunt than non-natives. Natives have a constitutional right to hunt and fish.

No. If you read the entire thread "Joe" had a 7 day hunting licence, but it had expired a week ago.

5. bob clark

bob clark Senior Refuge Member

As we have so many fewer hunters than the US perhaps you should look at the total impact before you start telling another country how to enact it's game laws-(140,000 hunters killing 10 ducks each is a lot less impact than 10 million hunters killing 5 each.) Our laws ensure if conservation reductions are made they will be made to Non-Residents first, then Residents and finally First Nations--Still in favor of Reducing the Harvest?

6. bang you'r dead

bang you'r dead Canada Forum Mod. Eh! Moderator Flyway Manager

Yep. Our local GW says that they can be charged for looking for fields, asking permission, setting decoys, etc etc. It comes under the defintion of hunting in the wildlife act of Manitoba.

7. bang you'r dead

bang you'r dead Canada Forum Mod. Eh! Moderator Flyway Manager

As for the non-residents, 99% of the guys I meet are top notch and only a handful I have met in 20 years I would honestly say I disliked, but they are probably disliked at home as well. I have hunted with guys from probably 15 states, and enjoy meeting and talking with them, and seeing them year to year. It would be sad if they did mandate mandatory guiding, as I know how I would feel if I was forced to use a guide.

I would still like a tag system, which could be implemented everywhere I guess, where funds for extra tags could be put directly into youth hunting programs and conservation programs, all sponsored by the guys who are heavy users of the resource. Heck , you spend $20.00 of a box of shells, why not another $5.00 for a limit of tags.

Someone who comes up and is harvesting lots of birds won't complain about another $5.00 or $10.00 a day for their birds.

8. Rainy River Madman

Rainy River Madman Elite Refuge Member

Look, its already happened for fishing, at least in ontario.. No quick day trips into Ontario, need to show that you stayed and played at a resort, campground etc. Really a bummer for guys who live on borders but I am sure it will happen for all outdoor sports soon enough.

9. Ontario Gunner

Ontario Gunner Elite Refuge Member

HUH?:scratch:scratch

Its done daily at the windsor detroit border.. Guys cros over fish for 5-6 hours and go back home. They also do alot of border hopping during waterfowl season.. Have you got a resort owner blowing smoke......

10. Rainy River Madman

Rainy River Madman Elite Refuge Member

No, its a Minnesota, Ontario thing.