Canadian Hunters Forum Sponsors

Rumor Mill again about guide only

Discussion in 'Canadian Hunters Forum' started by KID CREOLE, Jan 25, 2011.

1. Ontario Gunner

Ontario Gunner Elite Refuge Member

So im assuming you are referring to some deal on lake of the woods,, and 2 different size limits between Canada and USA, and people travelling back and forth by boat?

2. Layout101

Layout101 Elite Refuge Member

I think the whole thing is completely GREED driven by guides and guide services trying to monopolize a public resource. Same thing has happened in the states and the ones hurt are the average hunters, mostly resident hunters by land getting tied up and the big guys elbowing them out.

I love going to AB and Sask waterfowling usually for a ten day trip on a good year maybe twice, freelancing. Limiting the days non residents can go up and hunt will only loose revinue for the area's those hunters frequent. The more red tape the gov put's out the more hunters that won't come up to hunt. If the goal is just to block non residents then it should work quite well.

I keep a house in Ont and go up all the time during duck season,, if I was limited I wouldn't go up any more, guys that live along the western provinces probably would do the same.

This whole thing is to muscle out the little guy,, again it's about the $$$$.

3. Native NV Ducker

Native NV Ducker Mod-Duck Hunters Forum, Classifieds, and 2 others Moderator Flyway Manager

I would think, by definition, the first statement precludes you from belonging to the 2nd statement.

This thread started with mandatory guides for waterfowling. I agree with most here that this is not a good idea.

Then it morphed into how to keep NR guides from on-going illegal activity. That took us to the 7-day NR license. I know I go up for a week, when I can afford to go. That comes out to 5 days of actual hunting. The first day up there is taken up getting paperwork together, setting up camp, etc. I will admit that I was not aware of the technical description of 'hunting'. We do scout that first evening, to prepare for the first day of hunting. Taken from a 'reasonable' point of view, I doubt that a Warden would write us up for having valid license starting the following day, having no guns in the truck, and looking at fields (but he could).

There might be some room for compromise. Perhaps a 15 days license, and the ability to break it up, say, into up to 5 3-day groups, 3 5-day groups, or one 15 day license. From what I read, a lot of guys go up, essentially, for the weekend (regardless of what days their weekend falls on). The 5/3 option would give them 5 trips up there. That would help the 'border hoppers'.

If Canada wants to use the license period to try to limit illegal outfitters (which I agree with) they should consider the overall financial impact, and how to mitigate that impact. (Yes, I know NR dollars are a drop in the bucket to the National tourist industry, but tell that to the little motel in Cabri, that banks on those few months to make or break the year)

I think cool heads could come up with a good compromise.

4. Layout101

Layout101 Elite Refuge Member

What?

I said I keep a house in Ont.

Second statement was about guys that no doubt do the same out west along the Canadian border.

What about my statement said I do both?

I do hunt the western provinces as much as I can.

5. Native NV Ducker

Native NV Ducker Mod-Duck Hunters Forum, Classifieds, and 2 others Moderator Flyway Manager

Layout,
    (hate the internet, to much lost when typing, and not communicating in person)....
    I wasn't jumping on you. Just found something 'contrary' in your statement (at least as compared to my situation, which is a lot better than many others)
    By 'contrary' I mean 'amusing'....

This part I totally agree with.......

I also agree with all of this, but perhaps not as harshly as you. I think (or hope) if they applied the discussed rules, it would be worded so as to slow down outfitters, not unduly penalize the average hunter.

Now, here, you 'keep a house' in Ont. You list your location as the Miss Flyway, which could be on the Canadian Border, or AR. Regardless, you live in the States, but have a 2nd home in Ont. (Which I think is GREAT, more power to you. Wish I could do that!)

And this is where I was amused. The inference is you are a 'little guy', like most of the rest of us (or why else would you be posting? I guess you could be a 'Big guy' looking out for us little guys, in which case, Thank You.) However, if my inference is right, and you 'feel' you are a little guy, I am not sure how you qualify, if you can afford to keep a house in Ont. (Yes, I know housing in Canada 'can' be fairly cheap, but still....)

Now, if you had opened with owning a house in Ont, then continued on complaining about the 'guides only' concept, saying THAT was trying to keep the little guys down, it would have made sense.

Anyway, it was just funny how the words played in my head. Apologize if you thought I was berating you. Was not my intent.

6. Buzz10

Buzz10 Senior Refuge Member

Free trade and free travel sharedand business oportunities for each citizen in each country. That is why US guides are allowed there to compete with Canadianguides. Higher fees will lessenthe number of guides, just follow the historuy of AlbertaFlyway Outfitters. The greed in daily fee rate increases in the past 10 years is out of sight and will doom many who provide no afternoon hunt, no transportation no odging no bird preparation! My the best service, hunting success and price prevail!

7. Ontario Gunner

Ontario Gunner Elite Refuge Member

My guess is he doesnt own a house in ontario,, but gets together with a few buddys and rents a cabin for the fall slow(non-fishing) season in a good public area for waterfowl hunting. I know a few guys from michigan that do this in mitchells bay or long point. They rent a cabin for 3 months for 1500-2000 total,, leave all there gear there, and hunt in very good areas. Its cheap for storage,, let alone a place too eat, sleep and hunt every weekend!

8. Rainy River Madman

Rainy River Madman Elite Refuge Member

Nope actually had to have a "receipt" to bring back a reduced limit of fish showing you were at a resort, hotel, whatever. It all happened back in the mid 90's and living in a border town here it was a BIG deal. I am not even sure why they did it or if its a canadian thing or MN thing. I have never even been checked but officially you need it and its a law..Used to go over and stay way in the bush at some fantastic fishing spots, no resort just brought all our stuff with us, the new law put an end to it. I gave up going over for anything simply because I don't have to and fishing has turned into a joke with all the different regs and such.. Not to mention Joe Cool with a 200 hp outboard roaring all over the place owning the lake because he has the most expensive boat. What I was saying is this whole duck guide thing boils down to the same principle.. MONEY. It would not surprise me a bit if the whole canadian border shut down for the outdoorsman. Or at least got so expensive only the richest could go.

9. jcnelsn1

jcnelsn1 Senior Refuge Member

I have been thinking about the tagging system and my initial thoughts on it. I think it would be a good idea, especially if the birds become too pressured. It would also help to reduce illegal bird dumping and over the possession issues. As I said in a prior post, it is not all about whacking and stacking. With dags for a few days worth of limits a guy can shoot ducks a few days, darks a few days, snows a few days and never have to worry about running out of tags and still hunt a whole week.

10. bang you'r dead

bang you'r dead Canada Forum Mod. Eh! Moderator Flyway Manager

If you want the real reasons and the scientific evidence behind what happened on Rainy Lake in the 80's and 90's, I'd be happy to send you a PM on it. You can also contact the Regional Biologist Darryl Mcleod in Fort Frances. He is the guy who was responsible for the big changes. Fishing on the lake has been wonderful since then, mainly due to the "accidental" introduction of the rainbow smelt, which saw an explosion in growth rates on the game fish there. I helped on a creel census on the lake in 1981? for a summer job. Really interesting stuff. I loved the job, got to fish everyday, especially places like Redgut bay and down at Kettle falls.

The gist of the law was to get rid of the "pork and beaners" who bought their license in Canada, and that was it. They didn't spend a dime if they could help it, so the law changed.

Just hope it doesn't change the same way for waterfowl.