Rust colored Jap?

Discussion in 'Habitat Forum' started by Duckdstroyer, Jul 25, 2017.

1. Duckdstroyer

Duckdstroyer Refuge Member

Some areas of my Jap Millet got over planted. All of the areas, which are to thick, are more yellow and leaves tips are a red/rusty color. All the areas that were planted at the correct rate are green, twice the height, and look good. Have had a few showers, so not competing for moisture. Any thoughts?

Attached Files:

2. Porter Bayou

Porter Bayou Senior Refuge Member

Looks like a nutrient deficiency. Possibly nitrogen and phosphorus? I'd take a sample by the local extension office and let the county agent take a look. While I was there I would also pick up some soil sample boxes. Get separate samples from the affected areas vs the unaffected areas for a comparrison. If not a soil issue, possibly a drift issue. I don't know how secluded your place is, but dicamba drift has been a major issue in Arkansas this year. I doubt that's the issue though, cause it's not wide spread across the entire plot.

JFG likes this.
  3. hhpage

hhpage Senior Refuge Member

I would dump 100#/acre of DAP or 20-20-20 on it. That should address the N & P deficiency symptoms. If you wait for foliar or soil test results, it's likely to be too late to matter.

4. Old Critter

Old Critter New Member

Yep, broadcast the 100 lbs/ac. of 20-20-20 or something close to it. I wouldn't wait for tests either.

5. Porter Bayou

Porter Bayou Senior Refuge Member

And what if he has a ph issue or it doesn't rain for the next 2 weeks(it is August afterall)? Just spitting into the wind. Any reputable university soil lab should be able to get you results within a week this time of year. Regardless of what you do, get a soil sample. Might help address this for the future if not this year.