RV's/camping

Discussion in 'The Duck Hunters Forum' started by salthunter, Apr 15, 2019.

1. salthunter

salthunter Moderator Moderator

Ok my wife and I just entered the new world of RVing. Well Sorta! we bought a toy hauler. Ten years ago ( at age 54) my wife stated she was done "camping" and wasnt going to sleep on the ground anymore. . We drew a few game tags where she overnight ed with us in elk and moose camp. My wife discovered I slept more comfy in a truck or tent than at home. And we had traveled/vacationed using that sleep system.
    She was a hardcore backpacker before we were married. As a family we tented 3-10 nights a year with our daughters. Ive been involved in Boy Scouts and lots of overnight hunting and scouting ( one year I spent 17 days watching a huge bull elk) trips . Sleeping hundreds of nights in the back of a truck, under a shell or tents, and some serous back-country packing trips. .
    I thought we bought a trailer to continue going to remote areas .

Sleep with heat. Being able to stand with support to put my pants ,boots and socks on. Even to get up in the middle of the night to pee. is so much easier. In the past few hundred pickup/tent overnighters together We only stay in campgrounds when forced by lack of "dispersed" camping or open ground. Now my wife wants to go to campgrounds:eek: I would rather smell cow crap than campfire smoke, I prefer to be disturbed by cranes and coyotes than car alarms and drunks.
    I discovered I should have built a custom trailer. She likes the idea of hookups. 120 electricity and water. I just wanted sleeping warmth and the ability to shower with hot water at hunt camp.
    We havnt given up on all we use to do. Ill still have some nights in the backcountry. We will still car and truck camp , and next week were moteling it near Yellowstone.
    How do you camp? Or RV?

2. Native NV Ducker

Native NV Ducker Mod-Duck Hunters Forum, Classifieds, and 2 others Moderator

I had a big toy hauler. It was great. But, I lost it on an icy road.

I went the big tent route. Cabelas Alaknak tent, 10x20. Too big for me, but nice for 2 or 3 people.
    DSC01060.JPG DSC01061.JPG

What I like is, no upkeep. No insurance. Takes up very little space, just a corner in the basement. I need a flatbed for life around here anyway, to it all fits on that for longer trips. If it were not a hunting trip, it would all fit in the back of the truck.

I have all the 'add-ons'. Stove is a big one. It will flat drive you out at 20 degrees if you are not watchful. Camp kitchen, cots, privy tent, shower. (The shower is kinda cool. 4 gal metal pump tank with a shower hose. You fill it with hot water, pump it up, hang the nozzle, take your shower.)

If you are REALLY into camping, trailers are great. I might go 2-4 times a year, so the tent option makes sense.

3. Zane

Zane Senior Refuge Member

Picked up a 8x20 Salem Ice Cabin on Christmas day. Can run everything with a Honda 2200 genny and extended run tank.

I prefer to camp where I don't have another camp pad 20 feet away, so most places don't have electricity where i go.

I love my new shack, got to spend a few 3-4 day trips out on the ice this year until the snow prevented access to the ice. The only thing I wish is that I could of found the toy hauler model of my shack for the same price.

4. salthunter

It was your pictures years back of the mess you had on the highway, I figure sooner or later Ill do something simular

I really considered a ice shanty type. my concern with those is we will be towing around and need clearance and solid axle. And I dont know if once my wife retires if North Dakota Lake country is on her list. I could spend from the end of our goose season until spring break on lakes
    I didnt understand water set up differences in ice shanties compared to the other RV set ups

5. salthunter

Ive done the tent thing and still will , without my wife. When I elk hunted I was consistent setting up camp was 22 minutes. breaking down and in the truck was 23.

Winter elk hunting is just so much more effort than an RV I wouldn't be setting up and breaking down a wall tent in less than hours.

6. Zane

Zane Senior Refuge Member

I don't have any type of water in my shack. I do know they make ice shacks with the full bathroom set-up, i've heard some people say they use it on the ice and others who use it in the summer only. I didn't need any of that fancy stuff, so i'm not familiar with the differences.

If I was towing it all over, I would have went with a solid axle set-up. I blew a tire at 11PM on my way home from picking it up. That was a very cold and crappy situation, thank god it came with a spare. The alignment must have been off, because the inner tread was completely gone and cords were showing.

7. HaydenHunter

HaydenHunter Elite Refuge Member

When I go out of state to hunt I either sleep in the back of my pickup truck or in the same tent that we raised our family camping in. I really want a very small bumper pull trailer or one of those Mercedes Sprinter van Class B campers. We can dream, can't we?

TheDuckSlayer likes this.
  8. TheDuckSlayer

TheDuckSlayer Elite Refuge Member

strictly tent camping for me. If you ain’t so tired at the end of the day that you could sleep on a bed of nails, then you ain’t doin it right. Tents purpose is to just keep the rain and wind off you. RV’s are fer rich city slickers

9. bill cooksey

bill cooksey Elite Refuge Member

There are four weeks of good tent camping weather in my part of the world. Problem is those four weeks are spread out between the months of March, April, May, October and November. My wife and I have been married for over 20 years, and she has slept in a tent one night and swore never again.

10. fowlwhacker

fowlwhacker Elite Refuge Member

Been a couple years since we went anywhere with our travel trailer, kids and two labs. I think everyone got a bit tired with the long commute especially me driving. I don't know what possessed her to text me this pic yesterday after she sent me into the grocery store other than it being a nice subtle way of saying let's go camping.

We have never had a problem with our current labs eating the inside of the trailer up yet but I sure as heck would not leave one of our previous knot head males in one without being kenneled.

19949.jpeg