Safe hearing act

Discussion in 'Big Game Hunting Forum' started by cholt, Feb 9, 2017.

1. cholt

cholt Senior Refuge Member

i was wondering what all of y'all think about the safe hearing act?? If it passes looks like silencers will be easy to get a hold of. My thing is I hunt really close to my subdivision as in my best stand I can hear my boys shooting basketball at the house. I shoot most of my good bucks out of this stand. I have used a rifle here. Only to be called and people wanting to know why I'm rattling their windows. I tell them well I lease the land not shooting towards any house and I'm in the county not the city limits so it's legal. As for me I hope it passes so I can quiet down my rifle. Just wondering about what you all think about it

2. jzoo

jzoo Senior Refuge Member

Agree, it would be really nice if it passes. Personally I think it will.
    Problem is, the day it passes will be the day every suppressor in the country is sold out and tripled in value. I've been looking for Public Companies that own silencer mfg but am not having any luck lol.

3. stevena198301

stevena198301 Elite Refuge Member

If you are Google savvy, do a search for Mag-Lite suppressor. You'd be amazed at what you can find out there and buy. Ummm... For cleaning purposes only...

4. jzoo

I have seen them before, but as of a few weeks ago they were backordered by a couple months. Then last week I thought I read that the ATF shut them down. Not true?

5. stevena198301

I think the ATF shuts them down about once a week... :l

6. stevena198301

FWIW, I don't play with that stuff, but a guy at work has been interested in doing one for a while, and he keeps up with it.

7. jzoo

Lol. Ah one of THOSE deals

8. cootmeurer

cootmeurer Elite Refuge Member

I have used them quite a bit while hunting abroad. In the UK and much of Europe they are considered the norm. As a matter of fact, unless you are out in the wide open spaces (like the highlands of Scotland, or the northern parts of Scandinavia) shooting without one is considered BAD MANNERS.

That being said - they really don't silence anything. They are better referred to as moderators or supressors. They move the BOOM away from the end of the muzzle, reducing it. They do nothing for the crack of the bullet going supersonic. All in all - they take a 130-150 decibel event and turn it into a 110-120 decibel event.

On a side note: In the UK they are very very strict on firearms, but for the most part you can buy a moderator over the counter, and without a serial number. That is in sharp contrast to here - where we can walk in and walk out with a new gun in 15 minutes in most states, but a silencer is treated under the same laws as a full auto machine gun. Even my Brit friends think that is illogical and completely "Fecked up".

WoodieSC and Vahunter like this.
  9. Vahunter

Vahunter Senior Refuge Member

Would be a splendid idea. I already wear hearing aids, but it would be good for others not so far along.

10. pintail2222

pintail2222 Elite Refuge Member

So you're saying that a Browning 30-06 w/ a BOSS it too loud?

What? What? I said so you're saying that a Browning 30-06 w/ a BOSS it too loud?

Huh? What? I SAID SO YOU'RE SAYING THAT A BROWNING 30-06 WITH A BOSS IS TOO LOUD?