Safe storage and safe storage laws

Discussion in 'Hunters Rights Forum' started by The Other David, May 23, 2000.

1. The Other David

The Other David Elite Refuge Member

Here's the abstract from another piece of research by Dr. John Lott of Yale (not Harvard!). What they found was that persons who are at greatest risk of accidental shootings are the least likely to obey safe storage laws, while those at lowest risk (and most likely to obey SSL) are subsequently at increased risk of criminal attack. So, in states where SSL are in effect, it appears there is no net savings on accidental shootings, but an additional net loss in terms of increased victimization of those who obey the law.

Another case of best intentions gone awry and the law of unintended consequences!

Safe Storage Gun Laws: Accidental Deaths, Suicides, and Crime

JOHN R. LOTT, JR.
    Yale Law School
    JOHN E. WHITLEY
    University of Chicago

March 29, 2000
    Yale Law School, Program for Studies in Law, Economics and Public Policy Working Paper No. 237

Abstract:

It is frequently assumed that safe storage gun laws reduce accidental gun deaths and total suicides, while the possible impact on crime rates are ignored. However, given existing work on the adverse impact of other safety laws, such as safety caps for storing medicine, even the very plausible assumption of reduced accidental gun deaths cannot be taken for granted. Our paper analyzes both state and county data spanning nearly twenty years, and we find no support that safe storage laws reduce either juvenile accidental gun deaths or suicides. Instead, these storage requirements appear to impair people’s ability to use guns defensively. Because accidental shooters also tend to be the ones most likely to violate the new law, safe storage laws increase violent and property crimes against low risk citizens with no observable offsetting benefit in terms of reduced accidents or suicides. During the first five full years after the passage of the safe storage laws, the group of fifteen states that adopted these laws faced an annual average increase of over 300 more murders, 3,860 more rapes, 24,650 more robberies, and over 25,000 more aggravated assaults. On average, the annual costs borne by victims averaged over $2.6 billion as a result of lost productivity, out-of-pocket expenses, medical bills, and property losses.

This is David again:

Gun accidents and gun crimes do not happen at random. Many studies have consistently found that those who commit homicide, as well as those who are victims, and those who are involved in accidental shootings are very often those with long histories of criminal and anti-social behavior. Killings of innocent, minding-their-own-business folks happen, of course, but not as nearly as often as trouble-makers being in the wrong place at the wrong time.

Gun control laws, of course, only affect those who obey the law. The evidence continues to grow that gun control laws increase the risk of victimization of those very law-abiding people.

[This message has been edited by The Other David (edited 05-23-2000).]

2. booger

booger Elite Refuge Member

My eyes started to blur with all the figures but I think it is a responsibility of all firearms owner to have a gun safe for storage. By sloppy storage or none at all, burglars can continue to steal and sell "hot" guns. The stolen guns then are a liability for us all. NFA weapon holders (Fully automatic) can not afford to allow weapons to disappear, the Feds are not amused when this rare occurence happens. If everyone secured their guns then their would be fewer blackeyes for gunowners in general. Just my opinion and how this relates to the above data, well I'm not sure, perhaps I'll re-read it.

------------------
    What's at flood stage and how do I get there ?