Michigan Flyway Forum Sponsors

??? Safety Zones Around Buildings ???

Discussion in 'Michigan Flyway Forum' started by Horndog, Sep 20, 2016.

1. Horndog

Horndog Refuge Member

"Safety Zones Around Buildings - No person may hunt with a firearm within 450 feet of an occupied building, dwelling, house, residence or cabin, or any barn or other building used in connection with a farm operation, without obtaining the written permission of the owner, renter or occupant of the property."

Above is the exact language from the current 2016 Michigan Waterfowl Hunting Digest. Which leads me to the following question.

Is the 450 foot requirement and the requirement to obtain written permission only in effect if said building, dwelling, house, residence, cabin, or barn/building used in connection with a farm operation is occupied? That is how it reads to me........??? My reason for asking is this. I have more than a few spots on public land where I would like to hunt, but those spots are within 450' of dwellings/structures that are not occupied at the times I am wanting to hunt. Most of these are old/no-longer used farm structures on older farms that are no-longer productive or small seasonal homes/cabins that are closed up for the season.

Thanks,

Horndog

2. snowman48047

snowman48047 New Member

"Occupied" is the key word. The problem is when/if people do show up and they don't want you there. Try to get permission from the land owner. If they no longer use it then they may give you the legal "ok".

One more thing; ANY ROOFED AND/OR WALLED STRUCTURE may be included. I don't care if it's a damn wood shed or an outhouse..don't ask me why I know this. Depends on CO and who is complaining.

BaRtMaN likes this.
  3. BaRtMaN

BaRtMaN Moderator Sponsor

However target shooting. there is no safety zone! That is what really puzzles me, but I do take advantage of it!