Sage Grouse

Discussion in 'Upland Game Forum' started by MN/MTHunting, May 3, 2009.

1. MN/MTHunting

MN/MTHunting Elite Refuge Member

PLEASE, PLEASE:bow NO helicopters and 4X4's in the dark.:cry

2. stackin_smilers

stackin_smilers Elite Refuge Member

So what about all those ranchers that spray, chain, and burn sgebrush for more rangelands for their cows? I suppose thats not impacting the birds at all...

3. stackin_smilers

stackin_smilers Elite Refuge Member

if your trying to get an argument on P-Dogs, I am not touching that. I dont know JACK CRAP about them so I wont act like I do.:tu

4. MN/MTHunting

MN/MTHunting Elite Refuge Member

I really like research and studies on wild life populations. I do it all the time because game and other wild life interest me on year around. Not just when I have the license in my pocket and gun in hand.

We would have gotten along just fine.

It was the comments on "Helicopters over the Leks by day and the pickups, four wheelers and bright lights in the Leks at night" Man:nutz I thought you were kidding.

The only Sage the ranchers are removing is on their deeded land to improve grasslands. Grasslands are important habitat for a large variety of wildlife.

It's interesting, That in all the early settlers and homesteader journals there is little or no mention of the Sage Grouse. [I'm talking Montana] I have read everything available and REALLY wish there were more. A lot of mention about the hard times, long Winters and short food supplies. Jack Rabbits were eaten and trapped or hunted by I think most everybody. Cottontails were big. Lot of mention on Sharptails. Why not much mention on Sage Grouse? Surly they would have been easy game and more meat then a Sharptail.

Theories, Could be after the mass exodus of the homesteaders the Sage Grouse population boomed. To say there were more Sage Grouse before settlement then now is a guess. But to say the population has dropped way off from it's peak in the 30's-60" is fact.

Same as saying there were 60 million buffalo before the white man, or Prairie Dogs occupy 5 percent of their former range. Theories.

5. dirty bird

dirty bird Senior Refuge Member

Uh ok.... That's kinda funny cuz reading through your posts you seem opposed to research, now you're saying you do research and like it...

But hey, what do I know? I'm just a dumb "towns folk"

Stackin, this is never gonna end

I'm just gonna add some pics of what I have actually done to benefit wildlife

Me with a female sage grouse in North Dakota for a study to assess survival and reproduction
    [​IMG]

Stackin releasing a banded duck
    [​IMG]

Me with a buff-breasted sandpiper when I was doing avian influenza monitoring in Missouri
    [​IMG]

Releasing turkeys in eastern South Dakota
    [​IMG]

Spraying reed canary grass on the refuge
    [​IMG]

6. dirty bird

dirty bird Senior Refuge Member

Burning in Kansas
    [​IMG]

Me holding an eastern massasauge rattlesnake. They are endangered in Missouri and I was helping a sick grad student with his study
    [​IMG]

That's all I had readily accessible to post. I have about a million more.

7. Waders

Waders Elite Refuge Member

Bird nerd fight! I love this! Please keep it civil.