Salmon Fishermen!!

Discussion in 'Fishing Forum' started by BirdJ, Sep 10, 2015.

1. BirdJ

BirdJ Elite Refuge Member

Just purchased a few of those Brad's Cut Bait Plugs and I know I can run the plug straight behind the cannonball but has anyone pulled one behind a dodger before??? If not, do you think it could work or would the dodger be to much? Thanks

2. badhabit

badhabit Elite Refuge Member

3. chukarhead

chukarhead Elite Refuge Member

We usually run them about 24-48" behind an in-line flasher such as Short Bus or Big Al's Fish Flash. A 0 or 00 herring dodger would probably be fine, as would 11" Hot Spot style flashers.

4. BirdJ

Thank you both for your help!:tu

5. BirdJ

6. BirdJ

The reason I was asking about the flashers and dodgers was because our salmon will run shallow in the spring down to 40' in April and May. After it starts warming up they start running deeper, down to 120' during the summer time like now. Thought the flashers and dodgers would give off a little more (vibration) to attract fish to the Cut Plug with scent being that they are so deep that color and flash wouldn't make a difference! Thanks again chukarhead!

7. quack0905

quack0905 Elite Refuge Member

General rule of thumb I've live by: If the bait has motion, use an inline flasher or fish it by itself - if it does not have motion, always use a dodger or similar device that imparts motion to your bait.

8. BirdJ

Thanks for all the help fella's!!! Went out yesterday and caught a 17.02lb. Chinook in 100'. Not the biggest but I sure will take it. Six inch dodger with the Brad's Cut Plug.:tu