Idaho Flyway Forum Sponsors

Salthunter

Discussion in 'Idaho Flyway Forum' started by northern, Jan 23, 2018.

1. northern

northern Elite Refuge Member

Glad to see that there are still a few Bubba's around. Goose Um and I are still around, just not on the net as often. How was your season on that end?

2. salthunter

salthunter Moderator Moderator

Slowest goose season ever.
    Im retired so I could hunt any day I wanted.Unfortunately the birds werent right around my place as years past and I killed fewer geese than normal. I only ventured east to fish and hunt once , and spent Monday Tuesday Thursday in the other unit . I had to glorious 3-man pits that just didnt have the birds, Fewer hunts.
    I really wanted to hunt ducks up on your side ,.. but I just couldnt get away from goose possibilities.
    Worst part of it all my daughter shot geese but we never had any barnbuster days, She shot more geese when she was 15 than she has the past 3 years combined.
    Huge influx of swans 500=800 feeding daily just a mile or so from my place for weeks. Never set up for geese beside my place. I told my wife we may need to move

3. northern

It was a banner year for me. Best year in a long time. I think the water level has something to do with it. I was shooting geese from my porch. Sorry your year was slow.

4. Mikebig1

Mikebig1 Senior Refuge Member

don't know if I am considered a (bubba) but I got skunked on geese this year.. my ace in the hole spot got washed away from the flooding we had this last spring... was my best season last year.. not so much this year..

5. salthunter

I heard you had geese over your direction. It could have been the water. no place for the geese to roost on my side. However there has got to be more to it. I drive FH back roads north of me, towards your direction. Just not the numbers at all on fields that dont get hunted. a local kid I hunt with had a banner year on ducks. He made lots of duck jerky for the guys he works with

6. northern

I call everyone from the old days a Bubba, including myself. lol Didn't see much on the res, until late season. They sure wanted the beets this year. If you see any white ones, let me know and I will do the same.
    Have a good one.

7. salthunter

We dont get to shoot them on this side. I have seen a few mixed in with big flocks of Canadas.
    I even killed a couple this year at the Gap.
    I killed most of my geese in a fallow potato field,.. Ive been really distracted since season closed Spent some time in the desert chasing coyotes, fishing up at MacKay and bumming around looking for a big cat.

All the Utah gang disappeared from the site. I still keep in contact with a few of them.