googletag.cmd.push(function() {googletag.defineSlot('/22715214/refuge_ros_atf_728x90', [728, 90], 'div-gpt-ad-1434482053797-0').addService(googletag.pubads()); googletag.pubads().enableSingleRequest(); googletag.enableServices(); });

North/South Carolina Flyway Forum Sponsors

Same old tired arguments about Sunday Hunting.....

Discussion in 'North / South Carolina Flyway Forum' started by Norfbay, Dec 12, 2017.

1. Norfbay

Norfbay Elite Refuge Member

https://outerbanksvoice.com/2017/12/12/opposition-to-sunday-waterfowl-hunting-creates-odd-alliances/

So why is NC different than any other state in America that already has Sunday Hunting for waterfowl. Explain to me why Sunday hunting would "destroy" the duck hunting that is already crappy from Maryland to Georgia where it has no effect in Missouri, Kansas, Tennessee???

I'm so tired of hearing these BS arguments about ducks needing a rest, losing days of a 60 day season....how can 60 be less than 60??? Go ahead, I'm waiting...what a BS argument that one is....."I'm loZin' dayz cuzz I gets to hunt on SUndey now AnD thAt takez away Frum my days of 60 that I getz.....I donT even No if CurriTuk SportZ iz open On SUndays.."

We don't have ducks like we used to because we don't have natural food, people bait them in flooded corn fields at large club lands, there are no large expanses of rest areas along the East Coast (aside from mattamuskeet) to speak off because of development, And they migrate through and past us when the season is out........

The reason 'people' don't want Sunday hunting for waterfowl in Currituck, Dare, etc is because they don't want Tammy Faye to be whipping their arse every Sunday that they want to hunt instead of going to church or Sam's Club. The same people in NC that didn't want VA to have duck hunting ARE THE SAME ONES I SEE HUNTING IN VA (BACK BAY) ON SUNDAY. And another thing is soon to change BTW if I can help it, NC and Maryland is going to stop being able to buy a float blind license in VA for what we pay for one without giving us any reciprocation..I'm gonna ask that they are either unattainable for nonres or $1000 per year, ...hell, we can't even get one in Currituck or Maryland.....that chaps my arse right there. But NC can drive right over in VA and hunt our state waters on Sundays, with a float blind license that cost the same that we pay for one???!!! Uhh Nah...

We saw all of these same arguments in Virginia when we were pressuring to lift the ban. All the naysayers saying, "It'll ruin the hunting, someone's going to get shot off a horse or a bicycle, it'll run the ducks...." It has done none of those things, and truth be told, has increased my take on all species of game across the board. Because some Saturdays I don't hunt if the weather isn't right, and I go Sunday instead. Most guys that would take days off during the week from work to hunt, now use Saturday and Sunday instead....thus, 'resting the ducks during the week'.

All these NC guides saying, whatever......they just want that extra day to clean the lodge, and give a viable split in the week for booking purposes. It has absolutely nothing to do with rest and pressure....oh, and they're scared of the crap from their wives, too... IF they're so worried about that extra day...don't hunt, don't book, don't G-d go hunting. Stay home like the deer dog guys did in Virginia because they didn't want Sunday hunting....Oh wait, who were the first people to bitch and moan about not being able to run deer on Sundays when it was passed in Virginia besides the Grouse Hunters who tried to kill it behind closed doors with their money? Yep, the deer dog hunters...."Why can't we run deer on Sundays??!!" Because you all complained about it and said you wanted no part....

I just find it all very unsubstantiated and hypocritical...

Deadrise and JD1107 like this.
  2. Tailfeathers

Tailfeathers Elite Refuge Member

I laughed like heck when VA passed Sh and the dog hunters got what they wanted...no SH. The only thing I could see and it isn't a big deal at all is that if you hunt a farm M-Sat and the farmer now doesn't want SH on his land that you lose days to hunt but just that farm. My answer id to go find a Sunday place to hunt. This is a free America. If you don't want Sunday Hunting in your life than don't hunt that day or close your land to it that day. But don't interfere with the next guy's freedom.

Norfbay likes this.
  3. Norfbay

IMO, that is exactly how we got Sunday hunting passed in Virginia. You cannot argue with that logic in any fashion. Is it your land? yeah? Then say when it can and can't be hunted.

4. Pot Hole

Pot Hole Elite Refuge Member Sponsor

Ironically (and I'm sure completely unintended), you just provided some solid justification for folks want to prohibit Sunday hunting.

5. Little Ruddy

Little Ruddy Elite Refuge Member

There's not enough ducks in all three states to even worry about hunting any day of the week! All about $$$ now. Btw, where's all 48 million ducks at this year...Not in the AFW.

6. Norfbay

I cannot see where that statement provides anything but common knowledge, and that it wouldn't matter if we had duck hunting 2 days per week or 8 days per week, the outcome is going to be the same. One day, Sunday, has absolutely no effect on duck hunting success. The only way that rest days would work is if we had a week on and a week off during the legal hunting time period of October to January. Otherwise, it's business as usual and having Sunday as a day makes no dent in anything except opportunity to hunt.

7. Bluedog

Bluedog Elite Refuge Member

I have to say it again. Y’all heathens need to get to Church. Gonna be Hell to pay:flame

Norfbay likes this.
  8. Steelshot Scott

Steelshot Scott Senior Refuge Member

I grew up in a state with Sunday hunting(La.). When I first moved here(about 40 years ago),I was flabbergasted that any state would outlaw hunting on Sunday.

As time went on, I began to appreciated the positive aspects of no hunting on Sunday. It does reduce the pressure on game. You can say what you want, but it does.

Since we are allowed a max of 60 days of waterfowl hunting, taking Sundays off stretches our season out longer. By allowing hunting on private land for waterfowl will take away hunting days (about 6 days) from anyone who doesn't have their own private impoundment.

The post by Norfbay is actually proof of what I am saying. He pointed out that one of the biggest problems with the natural migration patterns and hunting quality is the huge numbers of impoundments and the fact that we are actually hunting ducks over a legal baiting system using them. Allowing hunting on Sunday would only benefit imoundment hunters only and the irony of that seems to escape many. The majority of ducks "resting" on Sunday are doing it swimming around in the Purina bowl(AKA impoundments). When I was hunting as a youth in La., there were almost no impoundments in any area I was familiar with. There was a big state impoundment about a hour away, but I didn't know of a single privately owned impoundment anywhere near where I grew up. I am told by friends that still live there that impoundments are everywhere and the hunting is not as good as it was when I grew up.

Adding a day a week for a select few while taking a day away from the majority is short-sighted and uninformed. Plus, the majority of the Jr. Duck Commanders are Saturday only hunters. Allowing them to double their negative impact on the sport is just silly.

stumpjumper0531 and CoachP like this.
  9. bufflehead1

bufflehead1 Senior Refuge Member

We don't care how yall do it up norf..............

stumpjumper0531 and deac like this.
  10. Clark

Clark Elite Refuge Member

So, rest the ducks Mon-Fri and hunt Sat/Sun.
    Then the hunting will be AWESOME!!!!