googletag.cmd.push(function() {googletag.defineSlot('/22715214/refuge_ros_atf_728x90', [728, 90], 'div-gpt-ad-1434482053797-0').addService(googletag.pubads()); googletag.pubads().enableSingleRequest(); googletag.enableServices(); });

North/South Carolina Flyway Forum Sponsors

Same old tired arguments about Sunday Hunting.....

Discussion in 'North / South Carolina Flyway Forum' started by Norfbay, Dec 12, 2017.

1. luvtwohunt

luvtwohunt Senior Refuge Member

Scott has nothing to do with breeding a high dollar dog as you say. It does however have to do with breeding dogs that will hopefully produce pups with the best chance for a long healthy life.Why spend 5 or 6 hundred on a pup with no health clearance when you can spend $800 and find them all day long with health clearance. After the initial cost of pup I shouldn't be spending anymore than you on your $600 pup but will have peace of mind pup should clear of major issues. Not sure where the $4000 dog statement came from.

JFG likes this.
  2. WoodMoose

WoodMoose Senior Refuge Member

"what's he gonna do, nibble your bum?".....

JFG likes this.
  3. Bluedog

Bluedog Elite Refuge Member

This is what we all have been needing. A good ole Fuge scrap. From Sunday Hunting to roost busting to dog breeding hahah. Only the Fuge can deliver such entertainment and during the season as well. All hail the refuge!!!

4. JFG

JFG Elite Refuge Member

Aaaaaaawe, it’s only a silly little rabbit!! :l

A true classic, no matter how many times you watch it you’ll always pick up on something you previously missed!:clap

5. cbrtrvr

cbrtrvr Senior Refuge Member

Wow Norf you are old. We know why you want float blind prices to go up and you and the rest of VA need to fight that and have it like ours. As for the Sunday hunting Im against it for a few reasons. But one it changes our seasons and splits. I know 60 days is 60 days. But if it goes thru like i read it unless it has changed we lose a day. If I read correctly there are 9 Sundays right? Also inside of those Sundays you cannot hunt between 930 to 1230. My math isn't the best but thats 3 hours 9 days so thats 27 hours you can't hunt. Which adds up to 1 day plus 3 hours so yes we do lose a day of hunting.

6. KAHunter

KAHunter Senior Refuge Member

If I am halfway between ocracoke and swan quarter hunting my float rig at 930 on sunday I have to put my gun away?? That is ridiculous. I understand sunday hunting is probably coming but that little stipulation there should be thrown out immediately. That is the dumbest thing I have ever heard. Open it or dont. Dont put some weird stipulation on it.

Looking forward to the big debate here 5 years after sunday hunting is legalized on whether or not to open the 3 hours on each sunday to hunting. Should stir things up again... :scratch

I get off work sunday morning at 9. What about us guys who cant start hunting till 9:30 on sundays. This isnt FAIR!!! This is taking away from my chances to go out hunting!!! BOOOOOO

7. bufflehead1

bufflehead1 Senior Refuge Member

Well..................technically we are losing more than one day plus three hours of hunting because all three of those hours each day are during daylight. We have about nine or ten legal hunting hours per day so that is closer to losing three days of hunting.

cbrtrvr likes this.
  8. gooseaholic

gooseaholic Elite Refuge Member

I've read on here, and have been told, about the 0930-1230 restriction for waterfowl hunting. I have looked over the NCWRC page and have only seen the information regarding Big Game and that the waterfowl was pending further study. Can someone point me to a link that shows the expressly defined time restriction for waterfowl? There is an exclusion for Controlled Hunting Preserves which allows them to shoot during the restricted time. I'm just not seeing a definitive structure for waterfowl and a lot of conjecture/speculation based on the link below.

http://www.ncwildlife.org/Blog/New-Sunday-Hunting-Regulations-Outdoor-Heritage-Enhanced-Law

The only definitive I've seen is that the commission is required to study the issue and make a report.

9. straightline

straightline Senior Refuge Member

With todays technology I'm kinda disappointed we don't have video of a boat ramp brawl yet. Surely somebody has skybusted outside PP enough to warrant an *** whooping. :dv

10. bang you'r dead

bang you'r dead Canada Forum Mod. Eh! Moderator Flyway Manager

This is from a different thread I responded to a couple seasons ago, but still applies here. " .......and how many hunters (American or Canadian) would ever hunt in a canola field (rapeseed)......or hunt out of a kayak in a field.....or both in the same day. This season, I've hunted out of a duck boat, pass shot, decoyed, hunted the wild rice from a canoe, hunted the rice in a kayak, floated a river for wood ducks, hunted behind hay bales, hunted layouts in the field, hunted the edge of a ditch along a field, decoyed in a ditch, hunted my kayak in a wheat field, hunted my kayak in a canola field, hunted with a willow blind in a flooded wheat field, pass shot a dike, pass shot a roost, and I may have forgotten a method or two. The only inept hunters I ran into this year were the two guys from Kansas who drove into the flooded field with their 35" wheeled 4x4 and got it so stuck up tight to the axles. Made the farmer really happy. "

It is, and it isn't. We have years where the local birds are it until the bitter end of the season, and they get a PhD in education after 2 months of getting pounded. This is a quote from a thread from a couple years ago. I didn't have the patience to type the whole story again, so I'll just cut and past it here.
    "
    ....and some of the most difficult birds to hunt are up here as well. I had some guys from Tennessee call me up, as they were having trouble finding mallards in the southern part of the province, and had come north to shoot some birds, and I said that we still had lots of mallards up here , but they are getting really hard to hunt. He told me that "Not a problem. We hunt educated birds all the time down south and we can bring them in when nobody else can." I found these guys a field that had lots of birds going into, but I couldn't hunt with them that day, as I was committed to hunt with a physician friend of mine, and the head game warden in the area, and we were going to another field. The fields we were both hunting had been hunted hard since Sept 1st, and it was now the 1st week of November, and the birds had been hunted heavily for at least 2 months straight, and they had seen everything. If you used spinners, they just flared at 150 yds and didn't come back. Layout blinds might of well had been bright orange. I warned the Tennessee boys about the smart birds, but the poo-poo'ed me and said "We know what we are doing, and as long as the birds are in the area, we'll get them". The next morning, in my group, we were in a tilled field that was basically bare. We dug down and placed out layouts flush with the ground, and covered the foot areas with dirt to hide them as completely as possible. The three of us spread out and were probably 30 yds apart. Our decoys were in small family groups or 3 and 4 birds, and the groups were anywhere up to 75 yds away from any one of us. The mallards would not land with other birds, and would only land between groups on the ground, as they considered any birds on the ground as somewhat dangerous. They came in smaller groups of 8-10 birds and would circle around for 15 minutes before committing , and even then it way mainly pass shooting at them when they came in range. We scratched out 20 birds (limit was 24) and called it a day with frozen fingers and toes. We cleaned up and I drove over to the field where I had got permission for the Tennessee boys. Their electric bill must have been impressive. They probably had 8 or 9 spinners and a "vortex" with a couple hundred mallard decoys, all in a big clump around six very obvious large layout blinds. One of the guys was at the truck so I walked over and chatted with him. They had shot 1 bird that morning, but had seen several thousand. They couldn't understand why the birds weren't working their spread, as "it has always worked before....". Just then a group of about a dozen mallards came into the field (a full section of combined barley) and started to circle their decoys. Two or three of the guys then began their best mallard call routines at a volume which made my nearly drop my coffee. Between that and the circus on the ground, the mallards all smiled, laughed, took a dump, then flew off to the far end of the field and landed by themselves. They ended up with one single mallard that day that flew too low on the way back to the roost.

The lesson from all this is anecdotal, but the fact is that just because we are in the north, does not mean that we don't see educated birds, or that we have "easy" hunts all the time. If you take a look at some of my videos, I may shoot a limit of birds, but I may only have 10 or 12 birds come into me that morning, so you better not miss. We had 3 really bad years in a row up here, but this year was an exception, and even so, I had quite a few hunts where I scratched out a limit, or came up short, and not for a lack of trying.