Sand in water pump argh!

Discussion in 'Boats, Blinds, & Gadgets Forum' started by Take-a-Gander, Dec 5, 2017.

1. Take-a-Gander

Take-a-Gander Senior Refuge Member

Hunted on a large river with lots of “surprise” sand bars. At O’dark thirty it is very difficult to see them and I had to trim up and motor across a couple of them this week. Yesterday my motor was acting up and had to basically idle back to the ramp to keep from over heating.
    I took the lower unit off and checked the impeller, housing and such (new kit on the way)
    There was a bunch of fine sand in the housing and the outlet tube was basically plugged.
    Any tips to avoid this happening, aside from the obvious of avoiding the sand, is there a way to clear the outlet short of tearing the lower apart?

2. Phytoplankton

Phytoplankton Elite Refuge Member

The only thing I could think of would be to put a fine screen on the lower leg intake, BUT, it just will probably just plug up there instead. While that would be easier to clear, it might plug more easily/often. You might be able to clear the pump by forcing water through the pisser, but I doubt it will clear all the sand out of the housing. Sand will seriously shorten the lifespan of your impeller. Only thing I could add would be to make sure your overheat alarm is working or you have a temp gauge and keep an eye on it (sounds like you did).

3. Olefart

Olefart Senior Refuge Member

Sand is hard on everything, you've seen what it does to your water pump impler. Be thank full it wasn't a jet out board. Have seen a couple of them with the pump case worn thru and the impler worn down. Pretty pricy replacement parts involved. We run surface drives on a very sandy river and only get about two seasons out of our props. Not much you can do to avoid sand erosion.