Texas Flyway Forum Sponsors

Sandhill crane guides

Discussion in 'Texas Flyway Forum' started by gimp, Mar 13, 2018.

1. gimp

gimp Senior Refuge Member

Looking for some input on a guided crane hunt for next season. Can anybody recommend any reputable outfitters who could put me on a crane or two?? Thank you in advance.

2. AvianQuest

AvianQuest Elite Refuge Member Flyway Manager

Sandhills are super wary so the best thing is to go where the greatest numbers of them winter, and that would be around Lubbock. Also the limit there is three, where in other parts of the state it's two.

I would recommend Blackfoot Guide Service...

http://www.blackfootguideservice.com/

We hunted with them and got easy limits using 12 ga. 3", BBB steel out of Improved Cylinder chokes. All shots DOA with no cripples.

[​IMG]

3. gimp

gimp Senior Refuge Member

Thank you, i'll look them up.

4. Flyfisher

Flyfisher Elite Refuge Member

Ranger Creek

5. bullpinnie

bullpinnie Elite Refuge Member

back when I was guiding, NoTox was required for waterfowl, but you could us lead up to F-shot on them, Has that changed? I'd guess anything larger that #4 shot would do the trick. give them a decent lead, and a good shot to the head or neck is all that it takes. I didn't mess around with cripples , too much. Any crips got raked hard before I'd send the dog.

6. AvianQuest

AvianQuest Elite Refuge Member Flyway Manager

Yes, lead shot is still legal for sandhills. If I were going to use lead #2 would have been plenty for these shots, or BB for pass shooting.

By using steel, we had the option to shoot geese if the sandhills were late coming in. But more important why scatter toxic pills all over the landscape. The only birds I want to die are the ones I'm shooting at.

7. gilzowg

gilzowg Elite Refuge Member

+1 for Blackfoot guide. We went with them a couple years ago and we shot the crap out of geese and doves. We didn’t go for the cranes, but they were every where down there.