Illinois Flyway Forum Sponsors

Sanganois

Discussion in 'Illinois Flyway Forum' started by rism, Jul 24, 2017.

1. rism

rism Senior Refuge Member

For all of you not paying attention : There was nice feed BUT -- gone by Wednesday. Chitago got us agin. River over the levees by Wed.

2. likesbigspreads

likesbigspreads Elite Refuge Member

I think the refuges at Rice will go under as well. I think they can only hold out 15 or so at Havana? This river is getting touchier and touchier every time it rains. Between field tile and all the concrete up there we are screw down here!

3. zettler

zettler Elite Refuge Member

As our Governor would say, "it's Madigan's fault and the waters he controls..."

4. nharold

nharold Refuge Member

Maybe they should build the levee's higher. When it happens every year you would think someone would catch on.

5. rism

The levee would have to be built from Havana to Beardstown. Then the Sangamon would back up and cause more problems. No cure for the problem of the concrete jungle in ****ago.

6. riverrat47

riverrat47 Elite Refuge Member

It's everywhere, guys. The Miss in my area has been high more often than not for over a year.
    I look at the Quad Cities and all the concrete and asphalt that has appeared along John Deere Expressway in the 30 years I've been in the area and it's no wonder the Rock River floods constantly, and the subdivisions between the Expressway and the river have water in their basements every rain event. Do city planners ever consult a hydrologist?
    I'm not even going to mention all the tiling and ditching I see.

7. Waterdog Trainer

Waterdog Trainer Senior Refuge Member

Levees would have to be 30ft. Not happening.

8. Il. MudDuk

Il. MudDuk Elite Refuge Member

They call it "progress", Ed.

Same story down here, basically. The duck hunters complain that an area didnt get pumped down ( it did, but Ma Nature filled it back up OR the area was never attempted to be dewatered for duck food as their was no place for the water to go / be pumped to ). We get local homeowners complaining about water in their basements as well. I've said it before, as a homeowner I sympathize, but damn it, if you build in a flood plain 5 feet from a lake or river, whatchya gonna expect ??!!

For now at least, a local area has some duck food, but if we get one big rain and its kapoot.

9. rism

Duh ? Flood plain, whats a flood plain - Way too many people like that. Real estate developers / sellers never mention that part of the equation !!!

10. AGS1

AGS1 Refuge Member

Can someone get a building permit in a flood plain? Put up a machine shed a few years back and the permit office matched the building location against the so called "high water map", we were out by a little over a hundred yards and only then were we allowed to build.