Canadian Hunters Forum Sponsors

sask conditions sept 11

Discussion in 'Canadian Hunters Forum' started by West Coast Hoosier, Sep 11, 2016.

1. JEvansCT

JEvansCT Senior Refuge Member

Didn't see this post until we got back. Jeff is doing well though.

2. Duckrussml

Duckrussml Senior Refuge Member

How did you do? I use to freelance out of Bladworth, Davidson, Girvin and Craik Back over to Elbow and Lookout for 14yrs... Got to be to much pressure on the birds. So we moved away... Miss the Gust family there very much. I'll be with my group of 6 in my new area on the 14th.

3. JEvansCT

we did really well. Lots of snows in the area and loaded with ducks. Dark geese were scattered and in smaller groups. Only heard one other group of hunters the entire week. Didn't see any others either but Jeff has a ton of land locked up. Got into some cranes as well. The ducks were on the snow rigs just lights out. We fly in and hunt with Jeff but I would love to try my hand at some freelancing just not sure the 36 hour drive is worth the effort.

4. zoops

zoops Refuge Member

I don't follow here a ton but I believe I've heard that leasing land for hunting rights is not allowed in Sask. How do the outfitters get around that? You'd think if they were doing it under the table they'd get caught.

5. CNWD

CNWD Senior Refuge Member

Your correct but outfitters and some NR hunters get that privilege. Very few locals do that sort of thing unless they are rogue outfitters and there are plenty of them around too. It makes me sick to read this stuff about having the land locked up. I am so tired of being told " Like to let you on but I have guys coming from Louisianian, Montana, Indiana, Oklahoma, and the list goes on.
    Resident hunters at this time of the year have the least amount of access to farm land!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Cinch likes this.
  6. zoops

zoops Refuge Member

So residents cannot lease hunting access but outfitters can? How does the law read?

7. CNWD

CNWD Senior Refuge Member

They disregard the law and do it anyway, extremely tough to prove unless you have someone on the inside of one of these payouts.

8. KEN

KEN Moderator Moderator

Outfitters can't lease land either. But I've seen them with rolls of cash to give to landowners. Tough to stop that. We have had landowners tell us the cost of hunting their land was a bottle of booze.

9. JEvansCT

I didn't mean to infer that the outfitter pays to hunt the land. He is local born and raised there and knows all the farmers and is a farmer himself and I just assumed he had it locked up as we never ran into anyone during our setups. Never did ask him anything about it either.

10. tikka300

tikka300 Elite Refuge Member

The worst part is the local Waterfowl Outfitter in Saskatoon doesn't even give landowners a legitimate taste of the $$$ they earn off the famers land. In return for exclusive permission landowners are given a night of eating and drinking at the end of the season - then as a parting gift they pawn off bags of sngo sausage on these drunk farmers (guess it helps get rid of the birds that are stacking up in the back of their garage).