Canadian Hunters Forum Sponsors

sask conditions sept 11

Discussion in 'Canadian Hunters Forum' started by West Coast Hoosier, Sep 11, 2016.

1. Duckrussml

Duckrussml Senior Refuge Member

But when you have calves to give away. Who do you think get one, two or three of them at end of the season? I just love the signs that say "no hunting without permission" with a Phone# with it. You call the # and you get the Guide Service, not the land owner. Of course the guide/outfitter is gonna say "no". So you think anywhere you see the sign you have been told NO!!!! So don't ask... But I found a way to beat them at their own game. Find one of those signs with # on it. In lieu of calling the # find the landowner or 1st person you see harvesting one of those fields. Walk over and ask permission to hunt. Once he gives you permission. In my opinion anywhere you find that sign with that #. That property is your's to hunt. Since you got permission already right!!!!!!

KEN likes this.
  2. Duckrussml

That's why I have a enclosed trailer there. Has 8 layout blinds and every decoy you could ever need to hunt Field Ducks or Geese (light or dark). From Reel Geese & 360's to tornado machines. It was an investment at first but after 17 trips 6 guys paying a guide $1500 for 3-day hunts. Hell after one yr we got our money back on the trailer and decoys. Plus I hunt from 9 to 16 days a yr there. I fly in each year rent 2 pickup trucks and we are golden.... No Guide Service for me!!!!

DaPutts and JEvansCT like this.
  3. CNWD

CNWD Senior Refuge Member

So were do you store the trailer. Are you really freelancing or does a farmer do that for you? Do you stay in a farmers yard? Just wondering how close you are to really freelancing or not. Or you use a Rogue outfitter.

4. mrmallerd

mrmallerd Elite Refuge Member

Let me guess, the sausage is made by the local Hutterites?

5. Duckrussml

Leave my Trailer at the motel I stay at the last couple yrs for a small fee. Before I moved from Davidson a farmer stored it for me for a 5th of Rye each yr. I hunt the same area now for the last 3 yrs. No where close to Davidson.. I'm getting a good base of farmers in the area that I just pop in and ask when birds are using their farms. If not I find the nearest home to where the birds are feeding. Ask who's land/farm it is. If not their's they get on the phone make a call to who does and wahlah I'm hunting... Without a doubt the nicest people on the planet. Will go out their way to help you.

One year I stopped at a house in my new area. Asked a guy about the land across from his home. He was like you don't want to hunt those birds. Here I'll show you what we found yesterday while deer hunting. Took us 5 miles down and over a few grids. Birds were in a low spot. Maybe 15-20,000 Mallards and Pintails. Couldn't see them from the road. But crested the little knoll and Baam!!!! He said that's the ones you want to hunt. We harvested a 6 man limit 4 days in a row. So No we don't use a Rogue we scout and ask the locals for permission... Which 99 out of 100 say yes to waterfowl hunters. Have even hunted land that said no hunting. Meet Owner in the restaurant one evening. He asked what we were hunting. I said waterfowl. He told us where his land was and birds were using it. I said I saw those birds ans a no hunting sign on that property. So I didn't bother looking for owner. Figured off limits. He said that was for Deer Hunting. But for us to enjoy all the birds we wanted to shoot off it... He hated the white sky rats!!!!

JEvansCT, DaPutts and CSUguy like this.
  6. CNWD

CNWD Senior Refuge Member

Thanks for the response.... :)

7. spikeidji

spikeidji New Member

Leaving for Davidson Sask. area Friday. Long drive. With conditions being what they are, will it be worth the drive? I am packed and ready but...........

8. Cinch

Cinch Senior Refuge Member

As long as you like walking into fields. As to the dealing with a questionable outfitter that's becoming the norm in SK.

9. spikeidji

spikeidji New Member

No outfitters on this trip, gators, sleds and small carsten boats.

10. Duckrussml

Have fun dealing with Jeff Doyle in that area... He is getting more and more land owners to refuse permission on properties I hunted there for 14 yrs.. That why I moved from that area... Sign posted everywhere the birds are using saying call this # for permission. It's his # and he tells you NO of course... Just a word to the wise. See my previous post... But Good luck up there..