Canadian Hunters Forum Sponsors

Saskatchewan conditions now

Discussion in 'Canadian Hunters Forum' started by West Coast Hoosier, Sep 21, 2015.

1. Dean Nelson

Dean Nelson Moderator Goose Hunting/North Dakota Moderator

Not worried about it just asked what it looks like so far to get a real world working knowledge of what to expect to see in late Oct.. Why are you bothering to read a thread about what's going on in SK right now since you can't control it? See how dumb that sounds!

Also with no juvies the migration tends to speed up a bit. But with it so wet up there odds are the birds will hang out in the wet fields negating any speed up from the lack of Juvies.
    Hell the info has already had a big impact on our preparations for the season in that we have brought my 8 doz snow floaters out of moth balls. Will be looking for a situation where we can find a good pond between atleast two roosts and preferably three or more. Then team them up with 40 doz full bodies and hide like an SOB. Have to use any advantage you have in years like this and a spring style pond setup will be something they won't have seen much of in the fall.

Last edited: Sep 24, 2015
    wyfarrell likes this.
  2. prairie hunter

prairie hunter Elite Refuge Member

I would rather take fog or a 35 mph wind and run a nice pass shoot. Either of those provides nice opportunities for shooting plenty of adult birds are 25 yards.

When the fog lifts or the wind settles I am hunting pheasants and not picking up decoys.

Nelson: the big difference may be the lack of an e-caller during your fall foray.

3. KID CREOLE

KID CREOLE Elite Refuge Member

Actually these are some of the most entertaining post on the web, I laugh my *** off, carry on!

4. rdj.olympia

rdj.olympia Senior Refuge Member

For those with helpful posts on conditions much appreciated. The juvie report is helpful since I separate the decoys so the first set we make we can match what is on the ground up north. Nothing like knowing in advance if I need more or less juvies. Thanks Again Bob

5. CNWD

CNWD Senior Refuge Member

Bob you will be confused when you get here then. I guy I talked to on the weekend had one hunt of a 5 man limit and only 4 birds were adults over 50% shot were Ross.

Next day 1/2 mile from that field the previous morning they shot all adults and saw very few juveniles. Better bring all your decoys.. :)

6. rdj.olympia

rdj.olympia Senior Refuge Member

Reg, Thanks for the report. That's what I love about snow geese. It is like you are playing chess with the grand master. The more you prepare the more the game changes. That's probably why I just went from a 6X12 trailer to a 8.5X14 trailer. More room for toys that's for sure. Got a report that rossies in the central part of SK but not many juvies.

7. KEN

KEN Moderator Moderator

I am in Sask now. Tough hunting for snows.Afternoon hunts are a waste of time. So few young that we are getting a few singles and doubles only. The best shooting is the first 1/2 hour of low light.

We are getting a few Ross, but even they had a poor hatch. Looking at big feeds on the ground ,the only young we see are maybe 1 or 2 with a pair. Very large feeds. One outfitter that was here moved to a different area because his clients weren't getting any shooting. Lots of migrating birds day and night. Very warm here today.Supposed to be in the 80's here tomorrow.

Combines going pretty much nonstop the last day or so. Farmers are all working to get as much as possible before the next rain.

Last edited: Sep 24, 2015
  8. TNDM

TNDM New Member

Are you seeing many dark geese?

9. KEN

KEN Moderator Moderator

We saw 4 major feeds today. I'm talking about covered quarters. The first 2 were leased by outfitters, one from Texas.WE have permission for the other 2. One tomorrow and the other one on Saturday. One is in swathed barley. They were really packed in there.

By dark geese are you referring to Canada's or Specks? There seems to be plenty to go after.

10. Diamondhitch

Diamondhitch Senior Refuge Member

Hope things are hot there 2nd week of oct.