Canadian Hunters Forum Sponsors

Saskatchewan Report

Discussion in 'Canadian Hunters Forum' started by WaterFoulHunter, Sep 11, 2017.

1. WaterFoulHunter

WaterFoulHunter Refuge Member

fullsizeoutput_281.jpeg Well, that was a blast! We did the standard 3 day, 5 hunt shoot with Prairies' Edge Outfitters-staying in North Battleford. We started out the first day with three limits of canadas, and a few ducks thrown in for good measure. That evening we set up near some newly arrived snows hoping to shoot some white geese while filling out our duck limits. Wow...instead, joined by another single shooter, we ended up shooting 80 snow geese/ross geese in 52 minutes! They just poured in, non-stop, in groups of 3 to 10 birds, never more than 2 minutes between groups. It was crazy and, according to our guide, the best snow goose shoot he's ever had. It was lights out!

The next day we managed three limits of sandhills- and two more geese that found the sandhill decoys too appealing to pass up on. That evening we finished the day with three limits of ducks, mostly mallard with a couple of pintails per hunter.

The only hunt that didn't yield limits around was the last morning, where the three of us managed slightly more than two limits more of all mallards.

I could go on, but for those of you who have hunted up there, you know how impressed a newbie like me was. It was almost too hectic for me at times. I think I'd prefer just one hunt per day and a little more down time. (I'm probably alone on that assessment, though. LOL)

Great accommodations, great service and fantastic shooting....We thanked the outfitter profusely!

View attachment 173153

Last edited: Sep 11, 2017
    MrMallard88 likes this.
  2. Hardcore Waterfowler

Hardcore Waterfowler Senior Refuge Member

Nice!! Looks like you had a good shoot. I have been to Saskatchewan a few times (both free-lancing and guided). The way I explain to the guys that haven't been there is, it is like the Superbowl of water-fowling. It is insane the number of birds you see and the hospitality of those you come in contact with. We have a group of guys planning a trip for next year, to go back. Lots of fun!! Congrats on a successful hunt!!

WaterFoulHunter likes this.
  3. morduks

morduks Elite Refuge Member

Sounds like fun shoot. Nothing better than a bunch of Ross' wiffle waffling into and on through the decoys. Exciting stuff. When we started in Battlefords 15 years ago we hardly saw any snows. Seems like flyway is shifting more westerly every year. Hope you had the chance to eat the crane. Love em.
    Tom B.

4. Chris Benson

Chris Benson Elite Refuge Member

Wow, good hunts! I hope you like goose sausage!

5. KEN

KEN Moderator Moderator

Are those mostly Ross geese? They are usually the first to migrate. They are fun to hunt and decoy like fighter pilots diving on an aircraft carrier.

6. WaterFoulHunter

Yes, 79 Ross and one snow. I'll give a palate review after we eat the cranes. I, too, have heard that they excellent table fare. I am having the geese made into pepperoni-like sticks; my kids- in their 30's- love 'em!

7. barry c keicks

barry c keicks Refuge Member

Dylan and all of Mikes crew are the best of the best.

8. creedsduckman

creedsduckman Elite Refuge Member

You won't be disappointed with the cranes.

9. WaterFoulHunter

Well, far from "rib-eye in the sky", but far away better than any goose I've ever had. Delicious. Grilled 'em, medium rare.

10. Native NV Ducker

Native NV Ducker Mod-Duck Hunters Forum, Classifieds, and 2 others Moderator Flyway Manager

We got into a few in SK a few years ago. Grilled em side by side with the Specks. None of the 3 of us could tell the difference. Both were exceptional.