Canadian Hunters Forum Sponsors

Saskatchewan September 25-30, 2017 Report

Discussion in 'Canadian Hunters Forum' started by GooseChaser1, Oct 2, 2017.

1. Feathers

Feathers Senior Refuge Member

Thanks for the report Stubble. I'm heading up Friday. This week at work hasn't been too productive. We are heading up earlier than the last couple years due to schedule conflicts but it seems like things are progressing a little earlier this fall so hopefully it is for the better.

2. bang you'r dead

bang you'r dead Canada Forum Mod. Eh! Moderator Flyway Manager

If they have lots of food and open water somewhere and low hunting pressure, they will hang around until either 6" of snow covers the food, or the river freezes solid (fast moving usually means late Nov or Dec freezeup here)

3. recker999

recker999 Senior Refuge Member

Why in the heck am I wasting my time hunting in the states. I should just take October and November off and come and hunt The Pas. Sounds like a guy could have the place to himself in November and tons of ducks.

4. CNWD

CNWD Senior Refuge Member

Not anymore...............................................

5. bang you'r dead

There are lots of places in MB to hunt in November. Whether or not the birds will be here is a roll of the dice. Some years, flozen out by mid Ocdtober. Some years, mild temps at end of November. You never know. Shot a 4 man limit of divers and a few puddle ducks this morning off the dike before work. Gracie got a great workout. Yesterday....shot 1. (gusts were as high as 60mph..birds travelling downwind at 100+ mph made it challenging)

6. recker999

Man that dyke is money for you. Seems like a limit almost every time. Im jealous.

7. bang you'r dead

Action from this morning. First couple were taken at LST +5 minutes or so. Pretty sunrise. Shot the rest with some local native/metis boys.

Lastflight likes this.
  8. recker999

Good stuff!

870 likes this.
  9. schlag

schlag Senior Refuge Member

I have photographed ducks in NW ND on some of the BEST pothole country in the entire US in the spring. Mallards thick as can be in the spring with other ducks. It’s the 100 pair per sq/mile stuff legends are made of. I hunt sharptail grouse in the same area in early September. Been doing this for years. When we get there in the late summer/early fall there are at most 1% of the mallards there are in the spring. Same for pintails. Other ducks are there with the exception of adult cans and redheads. They all go north into Canada to molt. And we put the miles on the trucks let me tell you. The ducks are not there. They are not any place south of where they nested either. Even the most of the juvi mallards are gone. They go north! They have for eons. That’s what they do. Then they come back south when they want to. Band return after band return shows the same thing happening from the prairie region of Minnesota. They leave and go NW. sometimes just to ND but they don’t just stay where they are hatched and go south. I remember being in southern/mid Sask in July once and swing a HUGE flock of mallards in a field that must not have been planted or something like that and 99% of the birds were Drake mallards. It’s no coincidence they were all drakes. That’s what they do. They join up and go north to molt.

10. Chris Benson

Chris Benson Elite Refuge Member

For those that don't believe that hordes of Mallards and other ducks come from the far reaches of the boreal forest. I've seen them personally. I've spent approximately 3,500 hours flying in a helicopter in far northern Alberta (almost into NWT) during the months of May, June, July and August doing aerial waterfowl surveys. There are tons of ducks up there, Mallards included.

If anyone else has that kind of massive first-hand experience who cares to dispute what I have seen I would love to hear from them.

A lot of those birds from the Boreal, probably haven't fully migrated yet. Most of Northern Canada is just below freezing right now, which means there most likely is still some open water holding birds. But as the days get cooler they will start to filter down.