Canadian Hunters Forum Sponsors

Saskatchewan September 25-30, 2017 Report

Discussion in 'Canadian Hunters Forum' started by GooseChaser1, Oct 2, 2017.

1. prairie hunter

prairie hunter Elite Refuge Member

Are you see lots of duck broods up there or ...

Do you believe drake ducks flock up and move north ... like non breeding Canada geese do ??

2. Chris Benson

Chris Benson Elite Refuge Member

In May and June we were just counting adult birds (pairs, singles, bachelor groups, mix flocks) in July and August we were counting just broods. If you go back in this thread you will see a post I made with a link, within that link there is a video of me wearing a GoPro flying over a lake doing one of the Brood counts in August of 2016.

That particular lake you see in the video normally would take us 1 - 1.5 hours to count all the broods on it. It was a large lake, but it obviously had a huge number of ducks nesting near it. In addition to a huge number of ducks which were molting.

So yes, there are a ton of broods up there! The most common species we were seeing in no particular order were Buffleheads, Goldeneye, Blue-winged Teal, Green-winged Teal, Mallards, Shoveler, Ringneck, and Scaup

3. Rudd

Rudd Refuge Member

Scott Threinen's DVD, "Duck Society" has the Mallard migration broke down in pretty basic and simple terms. Are his theories 100% correct? I cant say that for sure. But they aren't far off, if at all. Regardless, the video is worth a watch. Im willing to bet that everyone would learn something from it. I wont get into the details, or claim any credit that they have put on their DVD. Prob one of the best and most enjoyable waterfowl DVD's a guy can purchase. Goose Society I, II and III are also great buys.. But for this topic, Duck Society is the one i am referring to.

*No, I am not a pro staffer, or have any connection to them. Just advising a good dvd to others:

http://www.moltgear.com/molt-gear-products/duck-society.htm

No matter where you are at in the states.. No matter temperature, or the date... Pending any BIG snow or ice storms, there are likely still ducks to the NORTH, in fair concentrations. And the misconception that ducks are already from Sask; and Sask doesn't get a push of birds because they are already there, is the most inaccurate statement i have ever read on a forum. Those people likely haven't hunted in Canada. And if they have... they got lucky and the birds were already there when they arrived for their hunt! I know for sure there are WAY more ducks to come to central Sask, than what was there last week when I was hunting.

Arkansas is picking up birds, due to this cold front in the Midwest, just as every state in the midwest is loosing "stale" birds, and picking up "new" birds.... RIGHT NOW... AS I TYPE. Others, AND Mallards! Wait for it.... Sask is ALSO loosing and gaining birds with every front! The mallard migration is far from "Wam Bam Thank You Mam" lol Thankfully! If it was all at once, most of us down here in the states would have ONE epic week (if that) to hunt CRAZY numbers of birds, and it'd be over. Rather, we often get get several little to moderate pushes throughout the season. (Not even debatable, idc where you are at in the country, you pickup new birds). Along with a couple large influxes of birds when we are lucky, which make up for all the decent, and less than desirable hunts up to that point. And of course, the pushes after season has closed that makes every waterfowler drool, and wish the season stayed open for another month.. lol

Either way, this is my .02 on this topic. Soo many things to say, soo little time, and IDC to try to explain things too much. Got work to get done lol! The final answer is that there is no definite answer. They are wild birds that sometimes do things for reasons we dont often understand, and never will lol! Just remember to learn from your experiences, and others! The best we can do is to try to better understand the birds on each outting. Some day, someone will think they know the ducks better than they know themselves, and be proven wrong... yet again lol

Good luck to everyone! Hopefully this cooler weather continues and we get some stellar hunts here in the near future :)

tornadochaser likes this.
  4. tornadochaser

tornadochaser Elite Refuge Member

Well put Rudd.

Rudd likes this.
  5. KID CREOLE

KID CREOLE Elite Refuge Member

I left Sask on Friday, there is a LOT of mallards still there.

A few things I noticed, drakes on some ponds outnumbered hens 20 to 1

Mallards rarely went into the fields to feed but prefer to feed in the ponds that had lots of plant life in the water.

6. BirdJ

BirdJ Elite Refuge Member

What's the latest up date from SAK. with the Migration South????? Thanks

7. Prairiebirder

Prairiebirder New Member

I just cancelled a hunt in central Sask. for divers. I've been anticipating this hunt all year, but with temps dipping below zero (F) and lows all week in single digits, it was a "no go". Maybe next year.

8. BirdJ

BirdJ Elite Refuge Member

Any geese or mallards left? Being in SAK's. flyway here in Central SD. were a little concerned down here with the weather they have been having this last week!

9. SilverTip

SilverTip Senior Refuge Member

My perspective on migration, whether you're talking trout, salmon, walleye, ducks, or geese is simply this:
    Watch the leaves on the trees in the fall. They don't change colour over night. It's a gradual buildup to colour as more and more change. Now on occasion a weather event may cause a push, but by and large, it's a gradual event carried out over a long period of time.
    Proof: I believe it's natures way of survival. If every duck migrated at the same time, and a catastrophe occurred, we'd lose a significant population.

10. Rudder

Rudder Senior Refuge Member

Birdj, We just got back from nine days in Saskatchewan yesterday. It was a great trip, but closing down quickly by the end of the week. My guess is its all done now except deeper moving water.

BirdJ likes this.