Canadian Hunters Forum Sponsors

Saskatchewan September 25-30, 2017 Report

Discussion in 'Canadian Hunters Forum' started by GooseChaser1, Oct 2, 2017.

1. recker999

recker999 Senior Refuge Member

Weren't the temps in he single digits for lows at the end of last week? I am just curious as to where the birds still roast because I was under the impression most lake and wetlands in at least southern sask were pretty shallow. Do they just stand on the ice? It always amazes me that Canada can hold those birds so long and then they give most of North Dakota the big flyover.

2. bang you'r dead

bang you'r dead Canada Forum Mod. Eh! Moderator Flyway Manager

We have fast moving rivers which stay open late, and the corners on the rivers sometimes never freeze during the winter. Our deep trout lakes (some over 100 feet deep) freeze very late as well. I've seen the odd duck or pair here in December, but rarely. Three things tend to move the birds. No food (covered with 4" of snow or better), no open water, or sever hunting pressure. Otherwise, like last year, the mallards stayed in our province well into December.

3. recker999

recker999 Senior Refuge Member

No I get up near you that you have deep lakes, etc. I was referring more to areas like Regina in southern Canada in the pothole country. I thought most of those lakes were shallow? Anyway are you still hunting up your way?

4. bang you'r dead

bang you'r dead Canada Forum Mod. Eh! Moderator Flyway Manager

We are done like dinner. Birds left about a week a ago.