Canadian Hunters Forum Sponsors

saskatchewan situational hunting status..

Discussion in 'Canadian Hunters Forum' started by ALLSTAR 1, Oct 22, 2012.

1. ALLSTAR 1

ALLSTAR 1 Elite Refuge Member

some of the posts on another forum for snow geese in sask. sure are disappointing from a pressure/ethics/outfitter/ access etc. standpoint. Sounds like canada is getting more and more like the US...

2. mink creek drake

mink creek drake Senior Refuge Member

Do not understand your comment. Please elaborate.

I encountered very little pressure from other hunters, saw no unethical hunting tactics, and the local farmers were friendly and very welcoming to me.

3. ALLSTAR 1

ALLSTAR 1 Elite Refuge Member

I have to agree with the other posts about the number of hunters and bad experiences this year. Where we hunt there are a couple of groups running around tying up mutiple feilds and not hunting them in the morning. We had a little "discussion" that got a little heated from one group who said they didn't hunt a field they had permission because they "had a flat tire" Funny thing is we had a flat the day we had our best hunt and were able to get out into the field. Probably the strangest thing that happened is we were hunting one field and the farmer shows up ****ed off and he says we don't have permission to hunt his land and either pay him $200 or he starts running his truck thru the decoys. My buddy pays up because I was out scouting another field. He informed them that he charges the outfitter $200 per day but allows other hunters to hunt for free. He said we screwed up and it was going to cost us $200 but we could hunt rest of his land for free. I ended up talking to him later and when we went thru the chain of calls that I made it turns out I mistakenly talked to his brother. Still cost us $200 bucks because "when he screws up he has to pay for it and we screwed up and we have to pay for it." NICE GUY! We also had one of the guys lock the keys in the rig when they were out cleaning birds and two of the boys in our group got in a fight(oral arguments only) and one guy went home. Too much drama for me.

4. mink creek drake

mink creek drake Senior Refuge Member

Sorry for your issues. Looks like you were trying to handle things correctly. I don't understand how it is possible to "tie up" multiple fields, but if someone did accomplish that, I agree that it could be unethical behavior.

Where I hunt there are groups of hunters and I run into them occasionally most of the time while scouting. I must have rock solid permission to hunt directly from the farmer in person(no phone calls) or I will not hunt. I have not paid anybody for permission to hunt anywhere in Canada, but in our area we have not encountered any outfitters. My motto: no field, however good it might be, is worth an argument.

We give everyone on our hunt a full set of all keys, trailer, trailer tounge, draw bar lock, car keys etc. No lock outs possible and no knock on your door in middle of night wanting something out of the car or trailer.

And sorry you had internal disagreements.

5. SeniorCoot

SeniorCoot Elite Refuge Member

thought it was illegal for outfitters to lease/pay for hunting rights in SK???

6. CNWD

CNWD Senior Refuge Member

Correct that is illegal (and unethical IMO) not just for outfitters for any hunters to pay for access. It is also illegal for the farmer to accept or request it money for accessing the land

7. pellethead

pellethead Senior Refuge Member

I have to agree, just got back from a week in Sask. and have never encountered so many hunters, virtually every field we scouted had at least 2 other trucks watching the geese. We found a couple of decent fields away from the lake, but the fields holding 100,000+ snows were all taken.

But the kicker was the number of times we asked a farmer for permission and he said someone already had it for 2 or 3 days in that field. One farmer said he gave a guy from TX permission in a field for the entire week. We've never had this happen before.

We never saw anyone hunt any of these multi-day permission fields. Not once.

I went to Canada to see the waterfowling spectacle and get away from the pressure and hunters. Saw plenty of both this trip, will have to find another area next year.

PH

8. dougburris

dougburris Senior Refuge Member

the quills area where we have hunted for 10 years without having any sort of competion for fields and birds
    not this year :mad:
    we had three different fields that had been spoken for and 2nd place is last in waterfowling
    i was also suprised by how few canada's were in the area we scouted
    duck numbers were good but by no means in large flocks
    we did have 2 good canada shoots and 5 good duck shoots but not even close to the norm
    as usual the farmers and towns people treated us great and i thank all the Canadian people for allowing us to hunt their ground.
    but i also think its time to try another spot away from hunters magnet like the quills so the birds might not be so hinky.
    in all it was a great trip taking my son for the first time and showing him what real water fowling is all about
    :grvn

9. CNWD

CNWD Senior Refuge Member

The funny thing is everyone is saying they will have to find another area next year..... :scratch

10. Coldfronts

Coldfronts Senior Refuge Member

They don't pay them cash where I hunt to hunt, they make or try to make you, "buy tomatoes or potatoes for 1-300$ per sack". I have NEVER paid for hunting in Canada. However, I have been going for 15 years now and some of the old duck haunts we used to frequent are now "leased" and the farmer tells us these guys from SEMO buy 2 bags of tomatoes for 3 hundred american dollars every year and ask to hunt his land.