Canadian Hunters Forum Sponsors

saskatchewan situational hunting status..

Discussion in 'Canadian Hunters Forum' started by ALLSTAR 1, Oct 22, 2012.

1. kywires

kywires Refuge Member

Common courtesy tells you that you always ask before using anything that is not yours. Anyone that does not live by that rule contributes to negative feelings that some land owners have and the black eye that hunters get in general from the actions of a few.
    If you think that most of the farmers in Saskatchewan think that it is ok for you to hunt without permission you are wrong.

2. smashdn

smashdn Elite Refuge Member

Tell me more about these hungry women.

3. Fanatic

Fanatic Elite Refuge Member

I would have threatened the piece of ****s life right then and there.

4. 10ga.crazy

10ga.crazy Senior Refuge Member

It is in the 2012 SK Regs!!:reader

5. Biggar2000

Biggar2000 Senior Refuge Member

My buddies corrected me. The few times we did hunt Hutterite land the men did show up in the middle of the spread to "check on us". They wanted beer, whiskey or smokes. But mostly they said the women drove out to too, in dump trucks or "manure spreader" trucks. Oh the times at the colony.

They always drove up with birds working, about 8am and stay for 30 minutes. We decided then on nah, lets not hunt on their land. Great folks they just wanted to visit with us. During the hunt.

6. theduckguru

theduckguru Elite Refuge Member

7. Fanatic

Nice try mister. Yes outfitters are pushing it BUT what is destroying the hunting up is the freelancers. Plain and simple! End of story! Simply too many of them. I've heard some pretty interesting comments from different farmers lately as to how they are have had it and are going to start telling non res gunners to go u know what. One of the more pressured areas here, great spot for snows, has seen a huge drop in non res gunners past few years cuz all farmers in area started talkin, no more! Mark my words, the day will come! May not be in next few but this keeps happening, mark my words. Gov't won't stop it, simply too much $$ coming into economy but whatcha goin do when can't find land. Something very wrong with wrecking another country's hunting due to too many greedy sob's in same fashion that destroyed your own. And don't shoot the messenger, just saying! Might take a while but a few sick and tired vigilantly groups are going to start making sure Feds know when farmers are getting paid off, whether by outfitters or non res freelancers. I witnessed some pretty cool little tricks this season to ensure these kind of greedy hunters end up hardly getting a shot off. It ain't going to come to the point where a local resident can't take his kid out cuz 18 different non res groups have field tied up. Ain't going to happen!!!

8. Chris Benson

Chris Benson Elite Refuge Member

Wow, sounds like you had a ton of trouble and hassles this season to make you all fired up. What happend? I feel for you though, have had it happen to me. Greed, illegal guiding, disrespect for the birds and land, etc... I've seen it too. :mad:

9. Fanatic

There's a reason I typed don't shoot the messenger, I've had zero occurences.

10. mink creek drake

mink creek drake Senior Refuge Member

I posted on this thread second post when it was started 2 weeks ago. First, I appreciate your post. I have run into groups of hunters on my trips to Saskatchewan and there is some competition for fields. But the area where I hunt, have not seen or run across any outfitters. Twice I have encountered Canadian hunters and both times, I gave deferred to them. Once, I had permission in person on a field from the farm owner and arrived there early to set decoys. The son of a local farmer showed up also to hunt. Our group deferred to him, wished him well and left and did not hunt that morning. Later the son called me and thanked us for our courtesy and told us where the birds had gone.
    Another time, I encountered a local farmer scouting a field. He owned the field and it was covered with snow geese. I stopped to talk. He was going to hunt there the next morning. During our chat, he asked about our decoy spread. Seems he just had a few basic items to hunt snows while our trailer was fully stocked. He asked us to hunt WITH him the next morning. And after the hunt he invited us to his home where his wife had prepared breakfast.

Restating my original post, I always get permission directly from the farmer in person. I appreciate land rights of farmers and appreciate permission to hunt on their land. And my Canadian friends that I have met over the years are the best. I repeat that I have never paid anyone for permission.

Thanks for your post.