Canadian Hunters Forum Sponsors

saskatchewan situational hunting status..

Discussion in 'Canadian Hunters Forum' started by ALLSTAR 1, Oct 22, 2012.

1. GOOSE ROLLER

GOOSE ROLLER Senior Refuge Member

Fanatic, I don't disagree with your take that free lancers are a part of the problem but most freelancers are only hunting for a week or 10 days while the outfitters are bringing in clients all season long and pounding the same areas.I still say you need to distribute the pressure more evenly, maybe regulating the amount of hunters per zone.

2. grnhd

grnhd Elite Refuge Member

I'm confused. Are you saying that the problems are freelance hunters or people that pay to hunt? It sounds like the problem is people paying to hunt on ground,keeping it locked up but then you say its freelance hunters. A freelance hunter to me is hunting for free,not paying,hence the term free in the name. I don't know what you call someone that pays a farmer a year in advance to lock up the land for the ten days they will be there or pays to lock up land while they are there on a daily basis. Also,I'm curious on whats your take on resident outfitters that pay farmers to lock up land?

3. Fanatic

Fanatic Elite Refuge Member

The problem is both. Simply being over run by non res hunters. I'm not sure if u realize this or not so in case u actually don't, no one in anyway is legally allowed to pay to hunt. So if the local outfitters are paying off farmers, they should be castrated and fined, same with freelancers. No one, Canadian or non res, outfitter or freelancer should be offering farmer/landowner one penny!!!
    They are not called free lancers for what u are implying for heavens sake. U either come up here and hunt with an outfitter or u come up hunting alone without an outfitter (freelancer). Either or, no one is allowed to pay to access hunt.
    Things are not black and white. I know a lot of farmers that don't like outfitters because they are making a fair amount of money from clients hunting and by law farmer can't accept any payment. Lately I've been hearing from farmers in certain areas they don't allow non res hunters access period!!! Too many up here, think they can buy their way into anything and acting like this is their country. Alot of money comes into small town economies from non res waterfowlers each fall BUT if some people get their way and lobbying favors their view, things will change with sheer numbers of non res gunners allowed. I mean for GODS sake, think about this for a minute, when u start hearing non res hunters complain their hunting has gotten taken over by too many other non red hunters how the hell do u think the hunters that live in the country feel. I could elaborate on some crazy ***** I've heard this season but I ain't going to, will simply say I was blown away as to how some guys are going about completely wrecking the hunting of non res hunters cuz they are sick of not being able to hunt in their own back yard because all fields are tied up by non res hunters

4. Fullbored

Fullbored Elite Refuge Member

Make it like south dakota and only allow a certain amount of non res to hunt per year through a draw problem solved.

5. Fanatic

Fanatic Elite Refuge Member

Yes sir!! That's the answer, time will tell!!

6. nickle ditch

nickle ditch Senior Refuge Member

Amen brother.

7. grnhd

grnhd Elite Refuge Member

No I didnt know paying to hunt was illegal. Is it like that everywhere in CN or just in SK?
    Evidently the law isn't strictly enforced?
    For the record,I've never hunted CN and if I did I would never pay. I like that law. I do hunt in ND every year and I've seen farmers ask for money to hunt(I guess its legal there) I dont pay,thank them for their time and move on. I dont want to be part of getting that crap started. I'm sure it will happen without me helping it. I've also had farmers tell me they're against leasing because less people use the local towns due to large tracts of land being tied up in that area and it effects the economy there.Makes sence.

8. 10ga.crazy

10ga.crazy Senior Refuge Member

Agreed 100% and it is legal to lease here in Ontario but I won't and never will.........we had a local fellow here tried to sew everything up so he could run an outfitting business a few years back. The local guys found out and sure got ****ed. They called everyone they knew in the area along with all the gun club and angler and hunter club memberships he belonged to and they all got together and boycotted his retail business. Between his sales dropping off so badly and losing most of his friends/acquaintances so quickly he dropped the lease idea.