Saskatchewan?

Discussion in 'Upland Game Forum' started by BTiffany, Aug 15, 2017.

1. BTiffany

BTiffany Refuge Member

I may have the chance to join my son on a duck hunt near Ituna SK. in Oct. ? What really interests me however would be the possibility of getting my pointing dogs into some grouse & huns while in the area. Anyone know what the upland hunting is like in the area?
    Thanks!

2. Winchester 1897

Winchester 1897 Elite Refuge Member

The sharptail huntin can be off the hook.

3. mister gadwall

mister gadwall Senior Refuge Member

Relatively low bag limits, both daily and season. Pricey license. Every bird taken must be tagged and when you run out of the printed tags you are through. As incidental to a duck hunt it would be fun, as there are usually a good number of upland birds available.

4. theduckguru

theduckguru Elite Refuge Member

When duck numbers are high, upland bird numbers are low in SK.

5. Flyfisher

Flyfisher Elite Refuge Member

Depends on who you talk to... Some people think it's great while others are not impressed...

6. BTiffany

BTiffany Refuge Member

Thanks for the insight, all valid points. Unfortunately a lot of the Montana BML I've hunted in past is closing due to fire danger. Just seems like a good year to try something different? I have 3 young pups that need wild bird exposure so with them being my main focus it'll be more of a training trip this year so I'll manage just fine with the low limits. Throw in a little time duck hunting with my son when he gets up and I think it'll be a good trip. We'll see.....

Constructeur and Flyfisher like this.
  7. theduckguru

theduckguru Elite Refuge Member

If you are impressed by the upland game limits for 2017, don't let me deter you.

8. WARTHOG

WARTHOG Senior Refuge Member

I do not know about how pricey it is? The upland ledger card that allows you to hunt a limited number Sharptail Grouse and Huns comes with the purchase of your non-resident bird license that you buy in order to hunt waterfowl.

9. mister gadwall

mister gadwall Senior Refuge Member

^^^^Correct--as I apparently poorly implied in the second sentence that you quoted above. For an strictly upland bird hunt, not including waterfowl, it is pricey for a US hunter compared to alternatives. Mainly due to the total season bird limits rules.