Saturday in So. Grasslands

Discussion in 'California Flyway Forum' started by morduks, Dec 31, 2017.

1. morduks

morduks Elite Refuge Member

The teal were BACK yesterday. Onesie, twosies and flocks from 5 to 50 tearing around the ponds. We covered the normally black gravel island with sprig full bodies and it seemed to help. 13 teal and 1 sprig for two hunters. Shot pitifully but when they are in there will always be a second chance.
    Happy New Year to all.
    Tom B.

wanapasaki, Mean Gene and freefall like this.
  2. Speckslayer

Speckslayer Elite Refuge Member

Not everywhere in the south grasslands. We managed 11 teal and two others but there weren’t many teal around. Rest of the club only shot half limits.

3. Speckslayer

Speckslayer Elite Refuge Member

I’m betting you were close to the grade? Sounded like a LOT of shooting over that way.

4. nuts for ducks

nuts for ducks Refuge Member

s.grass club as well--- 3 guns 16 birds of which 12 were green wings. Can-widge-2 spoons were rest---but for sure better #s of green wings buzzing around:tu

5. morduks

morduks Elite Refuge Member

West of grade S of Mallard Rd off Wild Duck. Same to N too. Tons of bootlips flying about when sun came up.

6. Kwack

Kwack Senior Refuge Member

I picked up five teal and two widgeon. Should have had one more widgeon and a sprig and fewer teal but my shooting went bad after the first couple hours. A pretty steady stream of teal coming through until early afternoon when I finished up some work on the blind.

7. Squaller

Squaller Elite Refuge Member

There did seem to be considerably more birds where I was shooting... They acted stale though... Patchy fog, and when we had clear patches, there was good bird movement.

The birds bounced off the blinds, and did not respond to calling as I would expect fresh birds to though... I would guess that these were birds that have been here a bit, and got pushed around due to weather or for other reasons...

I hunted with a friend, and we had plenty of action and opportunity, and no complaints...

gables-12-30-2017.jpg

8. freefall

freefall Elite Refuge Member

They look dead, not stale. I'll take your stale birds anyday.:dv

That's more ducks than I've killed all season.

9. Kwack

Kwack Senior Refuge Member

Yeah I would agree, very stale.

10. Ravenanme

Ravenanme Elite Refuge Member

Well , that's a Nice picture Mark ! It's a lot better than most of the success stories floating around . Those are some quality eating birds , which shows
    you were selective in harvesting what you like to eat . Not only was your outing with a friend a Great time , dinner afterwards will be just as good !

Squaller likes this.