SAV ID help

Discussion in 'Habitat Forum' started by JFG, Sep 28, 2017.

1. JFG

JFG Elite Refuge Member

IMG_3565.JPG IMG_3567.JPG IMG_3568.JPG Just recently noticed this growing in my small impoundment where I've been holding the water (fresh) since late spring. It's in clumps all through out in the middle areas and scattered along the edges. Long, thin and sort of rounded stem. No leaves. I had earlier this spring brought in wigeon grass and pond sago in hopes of it taking but it doesn't look that-unless this is an early growth stage. I've tried looking it up on the net but can't seem to ID it so any help would be appreciated.

2. JFG

JFG Elite Refuge Member

Guess forum won't allow but soo much resolution posting pics. I've got good HD ones I can text/email if that'll help ...

3. boatdriver

boatdriver Refuge Member

Is it emerging from the ground about 1-3"?

4. JFG

JFG Elite Refuge Member

From the bottom of pond, yes. But I'd guess it's a good 10-12" tall. One mat actually looked like it broke surface a little with its ends. The rest showed because I dropped the water about 4-5".

5. boatdriver

boatdriver Refuge Member

I was gonna say that it might be Eleocharis parvula, but it only gets 1-3". 10-12" tall kinda stumps me. It could potentially be Eleocharis montevidensis, although I have never seen it here on the Gulf Coast. If you say it is in clumps, which it seems from the first picture, then this could be it. It would have a single seed head at the tip of each leaf. It's common name is sand spikerush. But, I'm seeing that it has a flattened stem as opposed to a kind of rounded stem, as you describe. In the second picture, I would have guessed wigeongrass. I'm just guessing by what I see. I've been wrong ONCE before!!

6. JFG

JFG Elite Refuge Member

Yeah, I've been wrong at least that many time myself, lol!

Got one of my hunting partners stumped too and he has a masters degree in waterfowl biology/management. It does look like wigeon grass on the surface but has no leaves, joints or a fruit. It's straight but pliable and almost looks like a green pine tree neddle w/o the pointed tip. Dunno, have sent pics to another Wildlife bio friend that has/is doing extensive studies on the SAV's in the Lake Mattamuskeet National Wildlife Refuge here in eastern North Carolina so maybe I'll here back something positive in a few days. Meanwhile, please keep the ideas coming.

7. JFG

JFG Elite Refuge Member

I believe you're on to it being a species of spike rush, Eleocharis. AQUAPLANT has a good picture that appears fairly similar to what I have. About the only thing that throws me off is I didn't see a small fruiting spike on the tips of mine, something they all are supposed to have. I'll keep digging.

8. boatdriver

boatdriver Refuge Member

Yeah, my first guess was an spike rush species all the way. I'm still leaning that way. Growing out of the water just as spike rush does. You are correct; the tell tale sign of having the single seed pod on the tip of the leaf. Anyhow, I'd say it's good for the lil duckies to munch on.

9. JFG

JFG Elite Refuge Member

Appreciate your help.