North/South Carolina Flyway Forum Sponsors

Save Lake Mattamuskeet

Discussion in 'North / South Carolina Flyway Forum' started by landman, Jan 12, 2014.

1. landman

landman Elite Refuge Member Sponsor

Just a quick thread to remind you guys who enjoy Mattmuskeet that there is a fight continuing to save the lake from further salt water intrusion and degradion of SAV needed to keep the historic waterfowl levels coming to the lake. Please continue to monitor progress of the fight by visiting www.savemattamuskeetlake.net and considering going to there next public meeting on January 23 at Carawans Motel. DInner is free but you need to RSVP.

More inmportanly, get on your phones and contact your representatives and senators and raise hell. If you have time to visit the forum everyday, you have time to make your voice heard.

Landman

2. boykinsbuddy

boykinsbuddy Elite Refuge Member

3. VA. Duckin

VA. Duckin Senior Refuge Member

4. SeaDux1

SeaDux1 Elite Refuge Member

Ive already contacted Rep. Walter Jones office and actually got a call back from his office out of Greenville. Some staffer called me and kind of gave me a generic speech about how Rep. Jones is aware of the situation at Lake Mattamuskeet and they are working hard to blah blah blah blah... I felt like they just told me what I wanted to hear. All I can say is I hope my voice is heard but some how I think if feel on deaf ears. I don't want to discourage anyone from contacting there Rep. letting their voice be heard.

But i think more drastic measures need to be taken to for them in the capitol to hear the peoples voice. Calling and emailing doesn't seem to be cutting it.

5. Kasey Kidd

Kasey Kidd Senior Refuge Member

There might be some truth to both sides of this story. When we look for it it usually does stay on one side of the fence

6. boykinsbuddy

boykinsbuddy Elite Refuge Member

I would suggest getting in contact with the main news crews in our largest cities...they seem to love issues like this. I know there are something like 3.6 million viewers in the Charlotte area. I would hit Charlotte, Asheville, Greensboro, Raleigh and Greenville...and Wilmington.

7. Chili Palmer

Chili Palmer Elite Refuge Member

I am totally ignorant.. is the problem low land or man made problem (canals)?

8. landman

I am told that the refuge in recent years has changed water control structures to those that have to be managed manually and that the feds refuse to hold back fresh water and hold out saltwater now. Nobody can get the feds to lay out a management plan for the refuge now it seems.

9. landman

10. landman

The lake is done if the feds don't change the management plan to hold back the salt water. Just like Currituck.