Saying "goodbye" to Sunny

Discussion in 'Gun Dog Forum' started by DEC, Feb 16, 2018.

1. Fowler267

Fowler267 Elite Refuge Member

They don't live near long enough, but they leave lots of Life Lessons and Love when they go.... My Condolences..

4 BUCK, DEC and Irishwhistler like this.
  2. zaconb

zaconb Senior Refuge Member

Well said. So sorry for your loss.

DEC likes this.
  3. daberk

daberk New Member

So sorry to hear about your loss. I had to let my 14 1/2 year old girl go in January. Hardest thing I've ever done. In order for it to be heaven there have to be dogs, I'm sure of that. Peace to you and all who loved Sunny.

DEC likes this.
  4. HaydenHunter

HaydenHunter Elite Refuge Member

Sorry for your loss.

I will be getting a new pup in a couple of months. I'm finally ready, after losing the big boy in my avatar almost two years ago.

DEC likes this.
  5. callinfowl

callinfowl Kalifornia Forum

I saw this post the day you started the thread, but I couldn't stand responding to it while watching my 14 yr old MYL failing right before my eyes it was just to much for me to bare at the time.
    I'm super sorry for your loss, words can't say how much these dogs mean to us.
    Since then we lost our lovely boy and now I remember just how much it hurts, and the daily habits we have to break once they are gone. It really sucks!!!
    Sorry for your loss.
    Dan

DEC likes this.
  6. DEC

DEC Elite Refuge Member

I want to personally say "thank you" to all who commented on this thread. I also got a couple real nice PM's from a couple members. I've read every comment multiple times and I revisit this post every few days. At first each comment was hard to read, but I find 7 weeks or so later that they bring a smile to my face. The void is there ... and always will be ... but every day gets easier. Sunny's pictures come up on my screen saver on my work PC and now make me smile, which is a nice break from looking like a sniveling idiot in front of my co-workers ... LOL. I've watched several videos of her that I have recorded on my phone over the years and there is an overwhelming feeling of happiness and pride. In many ways she made me a better hunter, probably even a better dad to my girls, and overall just a better person. I never realized how much joy that piles of yellow shed hair in the house would have brought me ... LOL. She was something special to me, my wife, and my girls.

Someone once said that the problem with dogs is that they are only with us for such a short amount of time. It is a true statement, but because of that short amount of time it just makes the love that we share with them that more special and powerful.

To all of those who have an old dog and will be going through this in the future ... I promise you ... their time with us is more than worth the pain of the loss ... and the tears turn to smiles more and more as the days, weeks, and months pass.

Thank you again to all for the kind words of support. You have no idea how much it has meant to me. God bless all of you!

7. TN_Hunter

TN_Hunter Senior Refuge Member

Great tribute to an obviously much loved dog. They are family members. Romans 8:20-22 gives me hope that we see our dogs again, I got 3 there now.

DEC likes this.