SB2315

Discussion in 'North Dakota Flyway Forum' started by KEN, Jan 26, 2019.

1. KEN

KEN Moderator Moderator

The annual no trespassing bill again. Not heard in committee yet.......

Would require permission from the landowner to hunt on private land. Currently permission must be received if the land is posted.

2. KEN

KEN Moderator Moderator

3. Uncle Fuzzy

Uncle Fuzzy Refuge Member

Must be some area where the guides are leasing up all the land and/or posting for someone else. Where I hunt in SE NoDak it hasn't seemed to be a problem

4. Dean Nelson

Dean Nelson Moderator Goose Hunting/North Dakota Moderator

No has nothing to do with guides and everything to do with pissy landowners to lazy to put up the signs.

5. MJ1657

MJ1657 Senior Refuge Member

Unreal right?

Asking permission to use something that doesn't belong to someone......

Absolutely ridiculous that anyone thinks they can go on someone else's land without permission.

dukehouser and PorkChop like this.
  6. KEN

KEN Moderator Moderator

I knew many farmers that didn't want to be bothered by the phone ringing non stop with hunters asking for permission. So they DO NOT want this law to be passed.

7. MJ1657

MJ1657 Senior Refuge Member

I'd enjoy those calls. Anybody that is so lazy they would call for permission would really make me laugh .

I get plenty of people asking me for permission but I have yet to have one call unless directed to do so.

8. KEN

KEN Moderator Moderator

The farmers I know do not want to answer the phone again and again. The lazy ones are the ones who are to lazy to put up signs.

9. prairie hunter

prairie hunter Elite Refuge Member

MJ,

Not being a North Dakotan or born and raised there - I suppose you would not understand. The current ND trespass rules are a long standing legacy that for the most part works well for everyone. Posting is at gated of a fence enclosed area or every 880 yards (half mile) so the amount of work posting is not high. Many ND landowners have permanent metal signs - once and one.

By the way MN has plenty of access rules that are pro-hunter vs. landowner. More so that in ND ...
    First, Minnesota woodlands are open to hunting unless posted closed - just like ND ag land. MN ag land of course is automatically posted does not need to be posted with no trespass signs.

Second, MN ditches are actually most often open to hunting just like SD. ND ditches are closed to hunting if adjacent property is posted.

Third, Minnesota has some of the most liberal public water definitions for both wetlands and lakes. This makes access to wetlands and lakes much easier in MN compared to other states including ND. Landowners have little control, but to grin and bear it. On occasion MN boat hunters get into trouble in ND when they assume the same public "waterways" laws.

Last edited: Jan 30, 2019
    MJ1657 likes this.
  10. prairie hunter

prairie hunter Elite Refuge Member

MJ,

You have bought your land primarily for hunting or inherited it and use it as such. Seen pictures of you and your daughter. Anyways ... stop by or phone call ... have you ever allowed a person unknown to you to hunt your land ?

Phone calls have worked for me. I have called some pretty large landowners and received permission (for waterfowl) for the entire time I was there. One time I just gave him my truck description and he said his land was open to me ... no need to call or stop by again that year. Another time ... the only time we met was the last day when we were there and we stopped in to say thank you.

Some time the phone call let's you find where they are at ... meet up face-to-face.

Landowners are like any other group of people ... some are friendly and invite you in their home, others want their dog to chase you off their property, some in-between. Some are happy, some are drunk, some are wealthy, some are on the verge of bankruptcy, some are in a happy family, some are in the middle of a divorce, some are in good relationships with their siblings, some are fighting for property and land with their siblings. You often never know what you will be walking into ... Well I often did since my brother worked with all these farmer types for a living.