Scallops out of Crystal River

Discussion in 'Florida Flyway Forum' started by nosuzies, Jun 5, 2014.

1. nosuzies

nosuzies Senior Refuge Member

Anyone here done the scallop thing in Crystal River/Homosassa?

I've never done it, and thought I would give it a try this year. Going down with the wife and daughter, and taking the Maverick with us. The only time I can make it work is the week of the fourth, so it looks like we'll be there for the opener. Can I expect it to be a zoo out there, or is this still "under the radar"?

Thanks in advance.

2. maclavin

maclavin New Member

Zoo! Opens the week before, pm me the week your down and I will give you some numbers where there at.

Mike

3. Waterfowl fool

Waterfowl fool Elite Refuge Member

Come over to the united waterfowlers of florida site. much better response and the group there will help you out 100% if they can.

4. coloradowalt

coloradowalt New Member

Make sure you have a divers flag. Adults require a fishing license. Not that hard to find, look for the boats ( and there will be boats, lots of boats ). Ramps can get congested so minimize time on ramp, launch early and recover early to beat crowds. Having a sun shade for boat time is nice. Sunscreen, and reapply often. I prefer a grapefruit knife for cleaning. Keep scallops on ice and they will open a little making cleaning easier.

Snorkeling for scallops is a great family trip. Y'all will enjoy it.

5. Blacklab227

Blacklab227 Elite Refuge Member

Look for the boats. Pay the folks near Macraes to clean your scallops. Get there early. It's a mess from beginning to end, but a drunken mess later in the day. I have been a part of, and contributed to both.

If it's busy enough, it may not hurt to keep a spotter in the boat, not to look after y'all but to flag the inevitable jackleg running on plane through the boats.

2 gallons per person or 5 gallons per boat, whichever is less.

6. blackmagic

blackmagic Senior Refuge Member

I check various depths and look for congregations of them. I won't waste my time in a depth if I'm not seeing several clustered together. Once you figure out the depth, keep hitting it in various areas.
    I believe it's 2 gallons whole per person/ 10 gallons per vessel.
    I clean them with a spoon. I have done it with a shop vac when doing a bunch.
    It's like an Easter Egg hunt for big people.

If you're coming from GA, I think you'd be better off in the Big Bend area.

7. blackmagic

8. nosuzies

nosuzies Senior Refuge Member

Coming from Ga., yes. Staying at a place on the river, in Crystal River. They said it's about an hour run to scallop grounds from resort...apparently have to idle all the way out because of manatee's.

Thanks to all for replys

9. cracker4112

cracker4112 Refuge Member

Good luck and be safe! It was a total zoo last weekend and will be worse this one! If you can manage it go out early and come in early...or maybe you like to be in the thick...

10. blackmagic

I bet the crowds were bad. I normally don't even go until the 3rd week and try to stick to weekdays. It also seems that they generally are a little shallower which is good because my wife likes to be able to stand up.