Scallops out of Crystal River

Discussion in 'Florida Flyway Forum' started by nosuzies, Jun 5, 2014.

1. cracker4112

cracker4112 Refuge Member

Oh I didn't go, no way no how! My dad was up there with a buddy at his riverfront house, didn't get on the boat, just watched the crazies from the dock. It is a good show! I always go up on weekdays as well, usually early morning from hernando beach, make the run to wherever necessary and try to beat the t-storms back to the ramp.

2. nosuzies

nosuzies Senior Refuge Member

We made it out to Gomez Rock, 2-3 miles SW of last channel marker, mouth of Crystal River. It was about a 50 minute run from the far SW end of Kings Bay. Even at 8:00 in the morning, on a monday, there were 50-60 boats already there.

My 11 yo daughter and I (wife had a sinus infx!) managed 3 gallons each day, quitting about noon. We all had a great time, and even managed a couple of manatee sightings in the heat of the summer. The pinfish schools out on the grass beds were amazing, I'm gonna have to come back in the fall and see the size of the specks that keep them honest!

I had a trim tab blow out on me coming back through the inlet on the last day, and was shown no mercy by the incoming fleet. They didnt even look back over their shoulder when they blew past us. Managed to get everyone moved around, and she squared back up for the run in the river. Everything else went real smoothly.

Thanks for sharing with us your beautiful state and all those amazing grass beds!

Last edited: Jul 7, 2014
  3. Blacklab227

Blacklab227 Elite Refuge Member

It's pretty special, and doubly so when you realize that you could snorkel over seatrout and never see a one.

One of the few times I wished I had more motor was getting in and out of traffic on Crystal River.

4. nosuzies

You all prepared me for the masses. I also spent an hour at the ramp putting in sunday evening...that was a first as well.

Is it just as crowded when the trout bite is on?

5. Blacklab227

Blacklab227 Elite Refuge Member

I'd doubt there are 1/10th of the boats. Go in January or February. Lots of stuff to see around then. Watch out for winter tides.

6. nosuzies

I may do that. Thanks.

7. cracker4112

cracker4112 Refuge Member

Glad y'all had fun. The crowds are only really there for scallop season, and even then it does taper off somewhat towards the end. The trout bite can be fantastic all the way until May most years...