Score

Discussion in 'Big Game Hunting Forum' started by Dean Nelson, Nov 12, 2015.

1. Dean Nelson

Dean Nelson Moderator Goose Hunting/North Dakota Moderator

Anyone have a guess on what this deer would score?
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. JMM

JMM Elite Refuge Member

Its going to be tough without a look at the width but he will do very well. I have a 180 in my showroom and yours appears to be bigger with the extras on it. The more I look at him the bigger he looks.
    Jim

3. nobrownducks

nobrownducks Senior Refuge Member

Deep forks, double inlines and it looks like he has some browtines. Will loose
    some on lack of mass but it's a great buck. Would like to see the spread but I
    would say low to mid 180's.

4. JDK

JDK Moderator Moderator Flyway Manager

Either way Great Buck!!

5. Diamondhitch

Diamondhitch Senior Refuge Member

Nice buck but same comment,real hard to tell from just a side shot. Popeye looked huge from a side view but his true size was only evident from the front, as are so many muleys.

Real rough estimate 175-180 gross typical +11" of junk. Could be 10" bigger or smaller though with a front view... Either way I would have shot him, congrats!

6. Dean Nelson

He's not all that wide. Here are the best two shots where you can get a bit of a look. I was spitballing in the 60's but am far more used to scoring WT. [​IMG]
    This pic was took to show a friend the fact this guy even had matching mini crab points in front.[​IMG]

7. Diamondhitch

Lack of width shortens up the beams and spread but those long 2s 3s and 4s will score up better than you think. Mass makes so little difference in score as to be trivial but certainly adds a lot of visual size, modest mass and spread is trumped by tine length every time.
    Hes no 160, unless you are talking net typical in which case sure, probably close. Then again I will show you a 219 with a 204" mainframe that nets 160 as well, hence the reason I never net a buck. It just doesn't relate to true antler growth, especially with mulies.

Scoring is easy enough to do. Just follow the picture and you tell us what he scores, you should be able to get real close even on your first try.
    http://www.scirecordbook.org/docs/methods/Method_18-NT.pdf

8. Dean Nelson

The mass is deceptive in these pics. He has more then it looks....no coke can by anymeans but more then it looks.

9. Diamondhitch

Ya he looks nice, I estimated 18-19" per side. Very heavy would be 21", coke bottles (extreme mass) would be 23-24" and willow branches 16". All in all from pipe cleaners to baseball bats, mass only has small effect on score compared to other factors. Despite what many who dont score think, it takes long tines and number of tines, not mass, to really add up the score is all I was getting at. 1 extra" of length on each tine bumps the score up by 10", 1 modest sticker bumps the score by 6". Yours appears to have G2/3/4 that are 2-3" longer than average, so that 160 quickly becomes 175-180. Plus the stickers of course...

I am interested to see what you come up with when you run a tape on him.

10. Dean Nelson

Yeah me to. Be a month or more till I get him back.