scoter decoys

Discussion in 'Diver Hunters Forum' started by Duckbofetch, Dec 30, 2003.

1. Duckbofetch

Duckbofetch Refuge Member

Can anyone tell me where to buy scoter decoys? I am looking to by a dozen or two.
    Thanks

2. Quarne

Quarne Elite Refuge Member

Cabela's catalog under Herter's decoys.

3. Skunked

Skunked Senior Refuge Member

I don't think you really need to BUY NEW Scooter decoys.

They aren't in the "gifted program" at duck school. I know folks that make their own from crab pot floats and/or spray bleach bottles black for half their spread.

What does work real well is taking some old clapped out decoys, get some cheap spray paint and paint them black. If you want to get fancy, get some white, orange, red and yellow paint to make the bills and head to look like the real thing.

Do a search on this subject here, and you will find lots of information on how to save yourself lots of $, time, and still have a good hunt.

Good luck!!!

4. SWD

SWD Senior Refuge Member

If you don't want to spend a lot of money you can buy a dozen or two "Generic" Carry Lite and spray paint them black.

SWD

5. seaduckhunt

seaduckhunt Elite Refuge Member Sponsor

Don't bother buying factory built decoys for seaducks, they are usually too small, bigger--better in big water....

I have two sets of scoters sleds totally rigged and ready for the water, with lines, anchors and all that I am willing to sell you.

They are traditional scoter sleds, bring in the birds like magnets, from miles out. Since they are big, and sit on the water high.... this is all you will need.

If your serious and interested , I will post a photo...

regards,

6. SWD

SWD Senior Refuge Member

RWP

Thanks, but I'm not in the market for any sleds. I made 3 sets of Brant sleds this year and I'm not very happy how they ride in rough water. I am going to start making my scoter spread out of crab pot floats. They ride the water better than plastic decoys and it's no big deal when a few stray pellets hit them.

SWD

7. Blackducks

Blackducks Elite Refuge Member

Well, there are not a lot of mfg's that make Sea Duck decoys. Guess their just isn't enough call for them or something? You can however get a few...

<<<QUACK DECOYS>>> very expensive and are made of a heavy rubber. Good decoys though.

<<<Herter's 72 Magnums>>> the foam is kind of fragile but they will do the trick at an affordable price.

<<<KNUTSON'S>>> Carry-Lite used to make Scoter decoys but they have disontinued them. However, Knutsons may still have some( they show them ). They also show Eider and Oldsquaw CL dekes.

As others have said it doesn't take a lot to fool Sea Ducks 90% of the time. You could buy some cheapo Flambeaus and spray paint them black, buy some of the Herter's unpainted blank foam decoys and make your own, or even use old soda or bleach bottles painted black and white as they work believe it or not.

Hope this helps.