Scoters are trash ducks? Naw. No way....

Discussion in 'Cooking Forum' started by Fish Head, Nov 19, 2013.

1. Fish Head

Fish Head Refuge Member

As my gf said, sometimes (emphasis on sometimes) it's good I don't listen well to others. Shot up some scoters this past weekend and the guide told me they were trash ducks - "take a picture & throw them away". Well, I elected to keep them and I'm so glad I did. I did soak the meat in fresh water for 24 hours prior to cooking.
    The first bite was an appetizer - "Scoter filet".
    I swear it's the best thing I've had to eat in a while. Maybe the best duck I've tasted in years. There was no hint of stinky seafood, game taste or that common liver taste (which I like by the way). It was just melt in your mouth delicious. I sprinkled a little bit of Sylvia's Chicken Rub on the filets and then into the pan for 4-5 minutes each side. Cooked rare/med rare...
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

On to the main course....

Been reading how deer hunters like to cook their backstraps and I used a common recipe I've seen. I butterflied the filets and then put cream cheese with jalapenos in the middle, wrapped up in bacon and cooked in the cast iron pan. My dad really liked this dish. I love the taste of duck and the cream cheese & bacon sort of covered the duck taste I like. But this is a great way to cook duck for those that haven't tried it &/or are leary about eating it.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

& YOU CAN'T have a complete duck dinner withOUT duck hearts & onions ( and livers & Mushrooms for this meal). Next time I'll do something different with the liver...

I swear duck hearts are the best thing out there fellas. TRY THEM!!
    [​IMG]

& the final product with a fresh garden salad (not pictured)
    [​IMG]

2. molliesmaster

molliesmaster Senior Refuge Member

That looks delicious! After seeing several articles and posts about duck hearts, I can assure you they will be on the menu in my house this year. Now if the damn season will just open up so I can go get them.

Oh and I do enjoy scoters too. I don't know what other people do to mess them up.

3. Coho

Coho Moderator Emeritus Moderator

Scoters always taste/smell like old clams to me. I wonder if there is regional variation in taste? Or maybe after learning the rotten clam smell in my youth makes me reject their flavor? Conditioned response thing.