SCOTUS on Prop 8 Gay "Marriage"

Discussion in 'Political Action Forum' started by Tuck31, Mar 26, 2013.

1. DR CABELA

DR CABELA Banned

No they use more services.....more meds.....and even live a little longer again still using those services and meds til they die....costing more than the average boozing chain smoking man.....

I don't know jaeger...maybe part of the problem is that we two have different ideas of what "health" is.

To you health is more medical services and more meds

to me it is enjoying life w/o being heavily medicated and weekly doctor visits

Only in America can more meds mean "healthier"......LOL

2. Lowtide

Lowtide Elite Refuge Member

Dr. C, are you going to take Dr. Richard Cooper's, Professor of Medicine and Senior Fellow in the Leonard Davis Institute of Health Economics at the University of Pennsylvania word over Jags?? :confused:

How dare you! :l

3. okie drake

okie drake Elite Refuge Member

You have a decent discussion going here and the topics themselves have various aspects to them, but a recent report noted that increased med utilization via medicare part D decreased overall costs, and that makes sense. $100 rx being taken appropriately vs 100K hospital stay. Now, we could discuss the best alternative for any given case which is often neither of those options, but that's another matter. Reality dictates in so many cases that those are the options.

Carry on...really, some good dialogue here. Personally, I concur with points made by each of you.

4. DR CABELA

DR CABELA Banned

I know...how silly of me....got boatloads of this stuff

5. DR CABELA

DR CABELA Banned

couldn't this be accomplished if cheaper meds were used?

I have a hard time buying the "he who takes the most meds is the healthiest" mindset which I know isn't exactly what you said

Im sure it will be easy to find sources to refute that mindset

There are many variables to these issues.........if they were easy to solve it would have been done long ago

6. okie drake

Agreed.

Nevertheless, $100 med that prevents a 100K hospitalization simply is what it is, and they're not all that rare. And, we're going to pay for one or the other, period--as jaeger and I both routinely point out though I don't think it's necessarily how it should be, but it is how it's going to be (yet again another topic)---so the cheaper alternative makes sense.

7. DR CABELA

DR CABELA Banned

you are assuming that the $100 med will prevent the 100K hospitalization..it doesn't always

A lifetime of prevention or tx can add up fast.....

"But according to Dr. Richard Cooper, Professor of Medicine and Senior Fellow in the Leonard Davis Institute of Health Economics at the University of Pennsylvania, that argument doesn't hold water. He says there are two simple reasons why women cost more to insure than men do: they go to the doctor more, and they live longer. Do those additional doctor visits translate into early detection of health problems, and cost savings down the road? Nope, says Dr. Cooper ? he calls the idea that early diagnosis is cheaper "a pretty marginal notion," and points out that for many diseases, early diagnosis is actually more expensive. That doesn't mean early detection isn't a good idea for some conditions ? Cooper mentions hypertension as a prime example ? but it's unlikely to save a lot of money"

8. okie drake

Not arguing that. Stating related facts. Don't confuse the two.

9. jaeger19

jaeger19 Elite Refuge Member

Well, I already pointed out that your assesment is only based on supposition.. why continue to argue.?

Can you reference her saying it should be free? so what if its zero? Why do you have a problem with that?

10. Lowtide

Lowtide Elite Refuge Member

Sandra Fluke is teaming up with Planned Parenthood to push for ? you guessed it ? birth control courtesy of Obamacare!

In an email to supporters of the organization, Fluke stated, ?I?m proud to stand with Planned Parenthood and President Obama as we work to expand access to affordable birth control. And I?m proud to stand with millions of women and men ? including you ? who are fighting for women?s health every single day.?

According to Planned Parenthood, there are only eight weeks left for supporters of free birth control to urge lawmakers to include a no-copay birth control in the Affordable Care Act. But Fluke said confidently in her email, ?We?re finally going to win this fight.?

Sandra Fluke and Planned Parenthood unite in the name of free birth control