Scouting Drive - SE Wyoming

Discussion in 'Montana / Wyoming Flyway Forum' started by HunterNWyo, Sep 22, 2017.

1. HunterNWyo

HunterNWyo Senior Refuge Member

Duck season opens tomorrow here in southeast Wyoming. Going to try and double up sage grouse and ducks tomorrow and then focus on ducks on Sunday. Took a drive this morning before work to see what's happening - saw a lot of wigeon, gadwalls, and cans. A few mallards, pintail, greenwings, redheads, and bluebills mixed in there. Saw two flocks of bluewings, so the recent cold weather hasn't sent them all packing yet. Also saw a few flocks of geese moving around. Been seeing some nice flocks of mallards on the rivers as well. Most everything is still coming out of eclipse as expected, so a lot of "brown" ducks out there. I'm assuming a lot of residents still, but have been seeing some high flocks moving through lately that might be some early migrants. Things have been dry and a lot of the little potholes and ponds are bone dry - other than that, looks to be shaping up for a good opener. Looks like a storm is moving through the next few days, so hopefully that'll have some birds moving around.

2. Mean Gene

Mean Gene Moderator Moderator Flyway Manager

Saw lots of new birds in Harrison, Montana yesterday. Birds are definitely moving.

3. wyo_goose

wyo_goose New Member

Looking similar up north here too. Two of my regular fields were loaded with geese this morning and one of my regular duck holes had a few bunches flying around when I drove by. Was raining and kind of windy so that probably had some to do with it. We still have another week but from the looks of it we should be shaping up pretty good too! Good luck to you!

4. Native NV Ducker

Native NV Ducker Mod-Duck Hunters Forum, Classifieds, and 2 others Moderator Flyway Manager

We had a small flock of snows in the valley today. Probably got trapped by the low clouds (happens now and then)
    Never seen them this early. Usually late Oct, at best.

nebgoosehunter likes this.