Idaho Flyway Forum Sponsors

Scouting report

Discussion in 'Idaho Flyway Forum' started by Peregrine, Sep 21, 2000.

1. Peregrine

Peregrine Elite Refuge Member

Went scouting on the Snake today. Lots of geese and a fair number of ducks. Most islands I passed had at least a half dozen ducks on them, then the geese started flying in around 10:45. I'd estimate 5-7 flocks seen for a total of 60-80 birds. I saw a dozen or two ducks in small groups, pairs, or singles flying throughout the morning.

The geese were just starting to fly good when I was heading back upstream, so I don't know how many there are.

Anybody else doing any scouting? What are you seeing?

Peregrine

2. IDBrian

IDBrian Senior Refuge Member

I am seeing lots and lots of ducks already. More than I have ever seen for this time of year. Last night I again watched 400-500 mallards flock into a barley stubble field. Also watched 150-200 geese come into a plowed corn stubble field. It's going to be a good youth hunt this weekend!!

3. Bird Boy

Bird Boy Guest

When you guys say that you are seeing ducks and geese on the Snake, what stretch of the Snake are you talking about? What about all of these islands? The Snake is a long river. Can you please be a little more specific. It would help out a new hunter in the area. ME. Thank you.

4. Blue Duck

Blue Duck Elite Refuge Member

Just came back from a drive around CoeurdA'lene Lake and saw quite a few ducks and geese. I don't remember seeing this many this early. Should be a good year.

5. Peregrine

Peregrine Elite Refuge Member

Bird Boy - I was near Marsing.

Peregrine

6. Birdboy

Birdboy Elite Refuge Member

Has anybody been out near Bearlake NWR or the Grays Lake NWR if so what it look like? Gonna try and get up there to scout it soon.

7. bbpheasant

bbpheasant Senior Refuge Member

Went out for quail again, this time around CJ Strike's Jack's Creek (Bruneau). Mallards were everywhere! While leaving, saw hundreds of mallards coming off the fresh cut corn fields near the Snake River. Had to stop and watch until it got dark. Beautiful!

------------------
    Duckbuster
    "Let the steel fly"

8. IDBrian

This is a picture taken from the Barley field I had scouted out that we hunted last Sunday evening for the youth hunt. This is one of the many flocks we let land after we were done.
    [​IMG]

[This message has been edited by IDBrian (edited 09-28-2000).]

9. Bird Boy

Bird Boy Guest

Beautiful picture IDBrian!!

I went out scouting on tuesday evening around Lake Lowell and Marsing area. I say hundreds of big canada geese at Lake Lowell. To bad that we can't harvest geese here. I also say many, many ducks. Alot of mallards, wigeon, and some woodies. It sure is a relief to see a lot of big ducks early in the season. I am from Utah and we only see teal, shovlers and a few mallards. I have shot a lot of teal in my Utah hunts. I am excited to limit out on mallards. I say a lot of ducks. Can you tell I am excited?!!!!

Around Marsing: I drove the South Bruneu road along the Snake. A lot of No Hunting/Trespasing signs. Do you use a boat to get on the river itself? I saw a few ducks here. A lot of geese working the skys. I sure would like to get under some of these big flocks of geese.

On Lake Lowell: I checked all the access points. Some look much better than others. I didn't have time to put on my waders and wade around. Is the water deep? How far out can you wade?

I will be scouting CJ Strike, Ted Trueblood and the Snake this weekend. My in-laws live in Glenns Ferry. I will be going after some quail, but I can not wait until the duck hunt opens!!!!!!!!!!!!!

10. IDBrian

Bird Boy,

You can wade out a long ways with Chest waders at most places on Lake Lowell. Just take it slow and be sure of your footing before you take that next step.