Scratch box???

Discussion in 'Turkey Hunters Forum' started by Squaller, May 1, 2016.

1. mudhen

mudhen Elite Refuge Member

I've tried some scratch box calls that I have liked...none that I had to have though...

I hate a flat/dead pot call...I'll send it back or toss it...

But I also rely heavily on a well made pot call, and will not be in the woods without one...

2. WoodieSC

WoodieSC North/South Carolina Flyway Forum Moderator Flyway Manager

mudhen, which "well made pot calls" do you use? I'm not proficient enough to always tell the slight differences in them, even though my hearing is excellent.

3. mister gadwall

mister gadwall Senior Refuge Member

Woodie-one of best call makers in US is in Rock Hill SC..Darrin Dawkins- 803-366-3305. His pot calls are highly prized.

4. WoodieSC

WoodieSC North/South Carolina Flyway Forum Moderator Flyway Manager

mister gadwall, I'll check on him. I can't say that I've heard the name, but I'm not a diehard turkey Hunter either. I'm usually still catching up on projects from the deer season that runs from Sept 15-Jan 1 around here.

Last edited: Aug 25, 2016
  5. finbonz

finbonz New Member

Look up Spring Creek Calls. Very reasonably priced new ($30-40) or you can buy them used (like new) by people who have tried them but aren't sure how to run them. Hand position is everything! Much easier to pack than a box with all of the same sounds available. I just slip it in my shirt pocket. They do seem to need chalked a bit more frequently. Bob Fulcher also makes some beautiful scratch boxes!!!

6. finbonz

finbonz New Member

7. finbonz

finbonz New Member

Del is an amazing caller, but this will give you an idea the range of one of these calls if you have never heard one before. Very unique!

8. tomturkey

tomturkey Elite Refuge Member

I only listened to half of the video.

Sounds pretty shrill/sharp to me. I will stick to my Latham True tone box.

9. Squaller

Squaller Elite Refuge Member

Finbonz, for some reason, I did not have audio with that link???

But, I have been playing around with a couple scratch boxes I got this year...

SS Calls and Buckeye calls (Lonnie Gilbert)... Both have a good reputation and both are really good on the low end stuff (purrs, clucks, yelping, and even cutting)... The SS call plays a bit more easy, but Lonnie’s call has a bit more bite and volume to it.

You cannot get the volume out of them you can a box call, and unlike a box, the purr is probably one of the easiest sounds to make, and the yelp the most difficult (but it does sound good when you figure it out).

Scratch boxes have a unique sound, and the fact that they are more difficult (but still manageable) to learn makes them a great choice...

Because they are made from a hollow box, they have a similar resonance to them as do box calls… They would not be my first choice for trying to drum up a bird or play in the wind, as they do not have the volume that a box has…. But, with little experience, I find it easier to string together purrs, clucks, and yelps than I do on a box.

And, probably because they are essentially a new toy in my hunting arsenal, I am having a bit more fun playing them than other calls. They are a fun call to learn and to play…

10. Glades Ranger

Glades Ranger Elite Refuge Member

I've always carried a Tom Gaskins call with me, sweet tone, but does not reach that far...trouble down here most times is the humidity and keeping it dry...a mouth call has been more successful for me on the wily Osceola.