SD Pheasants

Discussion in 'Upland Game Forum' started by Waders, Aug 31, 2013.

1. Waders

Waders Elite Refuge Member

2. dakndug

dakndug Moderator Moderator

:( Good thing I have no SD plans for this fall! Hope they rebound this spring since I'll prolly will next fall.

Doug

3. gunner29

gunner29 Senior Refuge Member

Im with you Doug. 25 hours is a long drive with a forcast so bleak.
    Once hunter number's start plummeting there economy will suffer. I hope for all in SD this crap gets turned around.

4. BirdJ

BirdJ Elite Refuge Member

Even if we got a new program started today, it will be very costly and will take a very long time to get back what we lost in the last 3 years!!!! Don't even think we will come close to those number of acres ever again sorry to say. To match what farmers are getting for crops now and cash rent, don't see it happening. Almighty Pheasant Gods, Pray For Us!!!:pra And yes, our economy will take a big hit for years to come!!!!!:yes

5. Squaller

Squaller Elite Refuge Member

Tough to get it back after you lost it...

Believe it or not, California had a thriving pheasant population throughout the state 30-40 years ago, and as recently as 2000, we had a very good population of pheasants in the Sacramento valley...

Motels and rural areas in the Sac valley were tough to come by during the pheasant season, and all but impossible to find on opening weekend... Restaurants and local merchants loved the pheasant hunters, and signs could be seeing saying "Welcome Pheasant hunters" or in the Motels "Hunting dogs allowed." I doubt that they see even a single occupant due to pheasant hunting these days...

Changes in agriculture and irrigation (i.e. more efficient agriculture with less weeds, and clearing the ditches for better water movement) have almost completely decimated the pheasant populations here. Add into that that the state has become agressive with spraying for mosquitos due to West Nile virus, and our pheasant hunting and hunters have all but dissappeared along with our pheasants...

As pheasants are not a native bird, so no priority is placed on sustaining populations...

6. cancan

cancan Elite Refuge Member

Corn prices are on the way down, Gov money to farm marginal land will follow at some point.

Obama hates ducks and Phez :D

7. Long Shot

Long Shot Senior Refuge Member

Most of his voters don't hunt them (ducks & pheasants).