SE Alaska Rain Gear

Discussion in 'Big Game Hunting Forum' started by TyrelPalmer, Nov 23, 2015.

1. TyrelPalmer

TyrelPalmer Refuge Member

OK, so my question is what are the best rain gear out there? I'm looking for like the top 3-5 brands. I've hear Kuiu, Sitka, etc. I'm also looking for wool vs non wool. I live here in SE Alaska in Juneau....we get over 130" of rain a year, and the last two years we have had multiple months that broke rainfall records.
    I like the idea of wool but the locals are saying its no good because of how wet it gets here, everything holds water so when you walk through the woods you get soaked. I'm looking for some good waterproof gear from Deer/Moose hunting. Thanks!

2. H20OTTER

H20OTTER Elite Refuge Member

I loved my Stormkloth while Caribou hunting up by Dead Horse. Quiet and surprisingly enough waterproof.

3. TyrelPalmer

I'll look into that! Thanks!

4. sdkidaho

sdkidaho Decoy, Gun Dog, Christian, Idaho Moderator Flyway Manager

First Lite. http://www.firstlite.com/

They have their Boundary Stormtight gear - jacket and pants. I only have the jacket right now, but I've worn it as my outer layer through rain and snow. It's worked great for me. I can't say that I've been in an environment that has as much rain as you do, but Steven Rinella has. He hosts a hunting show called MeatEater. Great show. Anyway, he uses First Lite gear and hunts Alaska and places all over the world. I've seen him on some hunts in Alaska and Prince of Wales Island that it was a constant down pour.

Granted, they are a sponsor of his, but he doesn't seem like the kind of guy to endorse something that would suck. Him using it was the reason I looked into their product in the first place. I've enjoyed all of the gear I've bought from there. Base layers are a merino wool blend, and the stormtight jacket sheds water extremely well.

AND - if you check them out right now. They are having their "Tag Soup" sale. Good prices going on right now!

7bartman and TyrelPalmer like this.
  5. Billy Bob

Billy Bob Elite Refuge Member

No breathable rain gear will keep you dry in the conditions we get from western Washington to southeast Alaska. Accept that you're going to be wet and wear something that will keep you warm even when wet. I wear a fleece jacket under an outer shell of an old Cabelas waterfowl jacket or rubber like Helly Hansen. It's not the quietest but it keeps me warm when I'm soaking wet.

TyrelPalmer likes this.
  6. TyrelPalmer

Has anybody used the new Kuiu Teton.
    I like the looks of it but not sure if it would work here or in Adak