Chesapeake Flyway Forum Sponsors

Sea ducks....The good the bad the ugly

Discussion in 'Chesapeake Flyway Forum' started by Smackdown 870, Dec 5, 2017.

1. Smackdown 870

Smackdown 870 Elite Refuge Member

So while having lunch down on Kent Island the other day I overheard a few fellas talking about shooting a bunch of seaducks down outside the Choptank. They were talking about how they got their limits and sounded like they did pretty well. They were joking about how one guy was going to give one to his coworker to try to eat and another said they went right in the trash. I was thinking the whole time...if your not going to eat them or put one on the wall.... why go and shoot them? I am sure that we have all saw the youtube videos and yes it looks very fun. I myself shot some back in college. Now that I am a little older it makes me wonder... all these guides taking trips out shooting all these birds...what is everyone doing with them. I myself no longer shoot any diver unless it has a red head or is a Ringneck... What are others opinions?

2. Montauker

Montauker Elite Refuge Member

Seaducks used to be a closed game, few people with the equipment to do it and it was done for sport or in best case for crab/lobster bait. And it was done a few times a year, if that.

I'm not thumbing my nose as others business but the proliferation of seaducking is not good for the resource, of which we know very little. That said I think there are more scoters now than their used to be, or at least the same, at least up north where I see very big numbers of them. That is a very narrow view.

3. carolina girl

carolina girl Elite Refuge Member

What did you do with the ones you shot back in college?

Scotty likes this.
  4. Smackdown 870

The Dog ate them.....this is part of the reason I don't do it anymore.....

The Other David likes this.
  5. carolina girl

Is it better if consumed by a human rather than a dog?

I'm sure the dog loved it and it wasn't wasted.

What people do with the game they harvested is up to them. I believe most people, will do their best to utilize in a manner they feel comfortable with.

I do think the season and bag limits are too liberal, but I wouldn't want them shut down. I really enjoy seaduck hunting.

Scotty likes this.
  6. Smackdown 870

All very valid points..I would never want them to shut it down... I think you hit the nail on the head with getting ahead of the curve with the liberal season dates and bag limits until they have some better data on them and their breeding studies and such... Maybe back it down a little

7. M R seagulls

M R seagulls Senior Refuge Member

didnt the state just reduce it from 107 to 60 days?
    ive never been sea duck hunting in all the years i have been waterfowling, although ive killed a few old squaws when hunting bills and cans. i cooked the squaws in some gumbo,the same way i would have prepaired the other divers, but man they were horrible,the aftertaste was disgusting. for that reason i just dont want to go and just toss the birds in the trash.i have friends that do just that,but for each his own though maybe if your a crabber you can stock pile some bait for the summer or make some jerky,ive heard people say its good but i never tried it. i admit it does look fun and maybe i'll go one day.

8. Dirtybird420

Dirtybird420 Senior Refuge Member

I put em in gumbo or chili n they are fine. If I’m not doing that the dog gets em. Mostly everyone else I kno chucks em in the trash. I just can’t shoot something n throw it away so I only go a few times a year. N yes they did cut the season way back.

9. carolina girl

They cut the season back in the “special sea duck zone”, I believe it’s still over 100 days

10. Montauker

Montauker Elite Refuge Member

It is under 100 day (closer to 80) and lower in the sea duck zone.

Sea Duck Zone Season Dates:
    • Nov. 4- Jan. 12
    • Sea ducks may only be taken in the Special Sea Duck Zone during the Sea Duck Season. Outside of the Special Sea Duck Zone, sea ducks may be taken as part of the regular duck bag limit when the Regular Duck Season is open.
    • Sea duck species are long-tailed ducks, black scoters, white-winged scoters, surf scoters, and eiders.