seaark performance

Discussion in 'Boats, Blinds, & Gadgets Forum' started by Offtheshelf, Feb 10, 2018.

1. Offtheshelf

Offtheshelf New Member

Hello everyone, I'm new to this forum, and wanted to get some input. I am leaning towards a seaark 1872 mv with a tiller steer 70 hp Suzuki. The max hp in tiller for this model is 80, but Suzuki doesn't make one, they jump up to 90. I am concerned about performance issues, and am not ruling out the 2072 with the 90 tiller. I originally was looking at the 1860, but after seeing the 72 models, I liked the idea of 28 inch sides, and the heavier gauge aluminum. I plan on hunting the Ohio river, along with Ky lake. Any opinions on performance or other considerations would be greatly appreciated. Thx

2. duckbuster5901

duckbuster5901 Senior Refuge Member

although my 2072 seaark duckhawk is side console a 90 etech is plenty of motor for that hull. fully loaded w boat blind , decoys , dog and 4 people it will still run in mid 30,s. just 2 head and fishing gear will hit about 42. Is the 90 & 70 Suzuki made on the same block? On the etec they are , so weight wise same load on transom. I would think the 70 would push boat fine but you,ll never go wrong maxing out horsepower rateing on a hull.

3. Offtheshelf

Offtheshelf New Member

Thanks for the info. I think I'm going with the 2072. We have a small runabout to take the kids out, but my wife made a great suggestion. Get rid of the runabout, make the seaark a console, and increase the hp if need be. That way we can use it all year long, take the kids tubing etc, and will still have my duck boat. I liked the idea of the tiller, but with side console there should still be plenty of room. It's kind of a win, win. Gotta love that woman.

4. JP

JP Elite Refuge Member

You definitely married wisely!

5. Sorny

Sorny Senior Refuge Member

I have a 115 merc on my 1872 and with 3 guys and an empty bowfishing load we can run 40 mph. It will run high 30s with 3 guys a hard sided blind and a full load of hunting gear. I wouldn't go any smaller than a 115.

6. Offtheshelf

Offtheshelf New Member

In order to stay tiller steer, 90 hp is the max I can go. Going console, I can increase it much higher.

7. duckbuster5901

duckbuster5901 Senior Refuge Member

That hull will throw a little spray over the side with wind hits underway just right. To advoid this I moved my side console ahead just far enough to allow a pedestal receptacle to be installed thru floor. Makes for a dryer ride in rough , windblown water. My duckhawk hull has walk thru back seat boxes set up for running a tiller motor. I think the MV full seat hull comes forward about same distance as those bxs do but not positive. My 90 pulls kids & adults flying on tubes or skis.

8. wingmatt

wingmatt Elite Refuge Member

If you go with a 70, you'll save 85 lbs going with a Yammie over a Suzie ......

9. CountryRN

CountryRN Refuge Member

X2 on the Yamaha. I run an F70 on an 1860 seaark center console. Easily runs upper 30's with gear well placed for weight distribution. My dad purchased a Suzuki 70 hp the same year. The power head on the Suzuki 70 is the same as their 90 hp. Yamaha saved a ton of weight by tuning the 60 hp power head up to the 70. Had it 3+ years now with absolutely no troubles. Has started quickly no matter the temperature, and runs very quiet.

10. awaldro7

awaldro7 New Member

I would run a 90 tiller on the 1872 and not worry about it. I have a 115hp tiller on an 1860 that is rated for a 70hp. No problems here. Not too many people beating me to the hole though! 5.jpg