Chesapeake Flyway Forum Sponsors

seaduck zone off shore waterfowl zone?

Discussion in 'Chesapeake Flyway Forum' started by carolina girl, Nov 30, 2016.

1. Smackdown 870

Smackdown 870 Elite Refuge Member

I am sure there is...Just look to most teenage kids bedrooms....:l

2. carolina girl

carolina girl Elite Refuge Member

What is the alterative if the "Special Seaduck season" is not selected?

3. carolina girl

This "Special Seaduck Season" is new, correct?

I think the department got lazy "for lack of better terms" and just used the existing seaduck zone without thinking the adverse effects it would have on the OSWHZ and those that utilize it.

I feel the department, if it is forced to move forward with this "Special Seaduck Season", needs to designate a "Special Seaduck Zone", it cant reuse the old zone and they can not over lap with the OSWHZ.

TDB duckin likes this.
  4. chesapeake honker

chesapeake honker Elite Refuge Member

Thanks for taking the time to post that up jhomyack...Good to know we got someone on here that can answer some legit questions.

Allan likes this.
  5. carolina girl

I agree, I'm sorry if I'm a thorn. I'm not trying to be disrespectful

6. Mayor of Seneca

Mayor of Seneca Elite Refuge Member

C.G.

Sea Duck hunting can be traced back to the late 50's & 60's; for many years Sea Duck hunting by Atlantic Flyway States was basically done in the Atlantic Ocean, preferred term, "Coastal Zone". Atlantic Flyway States regular duck season depending on A.F. State uses terms like "coastal Zone" and "regular" duck season while ours is called "Off Shore Zone" harvesting regular duck species. The other A.F. States also allow Sea Ducks to be harvested in their "regular" duck zones and counts toward the regular duck bag limits.

So it seems when Sea Duck Zone migrated from the Atlantic Ocean with 107 day season some time in the (1990's), the Federal framework identified the season and zones as "Special Sea Duck Season" which they truly are targeting only Sea Ducks. Its a term all A.F. States uses publishing S.D. frame work, now with the season reduction not so "Special" as it once was, the zones still are "special" as Josh posted earlier.

Atlantic Flyway States meet this summer (Atlantic Flyway Meeting) so interested of other hunters in member states also having same confusion with the first year SD season reduced to 60 days.

7. carolina girl

Steve,
    Thanks for the explanation.

I'm not upset about the reduction in days, its about time....but quit all the confusion, it isn't necessary. Just close seaducks Jan.13.

8. duckbutler

duckbutler Senior Refuge Member

I still say the regular guy duck hunting who is not on the 'fuge will get screwed this year hunting the OSWZ. the current wording just isn't logical. Seems C. G. has gone to great reasonable lengths here. I think officers should give a warning once to each party.. is there some way to take down all this lic # s of those hunting in the OSWZ who are found with a seaduck (s) out of season.. and ticket them if caught the second time? My impression of shooting a duck or any game out of season is a pretty severe penalty. Big fine? loss of license? A shame if really carried through with.. And fix the wording for next year..

9. Mayor of Seneca

Just an FYI, we hear you, Josh & Bill (Ugava Watcher) with DNR WH and Migratory Game Bird Committee will be studying the confusion of the Sea Duck regulation language for improvements next year.

10. Mayor of Seneca

I reviewed other Atlantic Flyway States Sea Duck seasons; They like Maryland also included sea ducks with in their regular duck season counting sea ducks toward the regular duck limits.

My concern of closing Sea Duck season after Jan. 13th you are taking away "hunting opportunity" for those hunters who use our "Off Shore Zone" to target regular ducks like divers, etc. If those hunters do shoot a Sea Duck, you have a violation, so why create a situation of having a sea duck float on the Bay.