Chesapeake Flyway Forum Sponsors

seaduck zone off shore waterfowl zone?

Discussion in 'Chesapeake Flyway Forum' started by carolina girl, Nov 30, 2016.

1. Montauker

Montauker Elite Refuge Member

Mayor, I think the difference with MD is that the Sea Duck Zone in those other states typically do not hold, and hunters do not target, other duck species like we do here in MD.

Glad to hear that you guys are aware and thinking of improvement without reducing opportunity.

2. carolina girl

carolina girl Elite Refuge Member

Steve,
    You already have a situation. The zones are almost identical.

I don't understand logic sometimes, you have to be able to identify a black duck from a hen mallard, but having to identify a sea duck is a real head scratcher?

I appreciate you looking into this, and hopefully correcting it next year.

Allan likes this.
  3. CaptSanner295

CaptSanner295 Elite Refuge Member

I can see it now...

Judge: Defendant is being of accused of shooting ducks out of season.
    Defendant: Your honor I harvested sea ducks Jan 14 in the OSWZ, they're legal to harvest there.
    Judge to NRP Officer: Is this correct?
    NRP Officer: Well yes but technically he was in the Sea Duck Zone and they're closed there.
    Defendant: No your honor I was in the gunning ri errr I mean OSWZ.
    Judge: Where was he?
    NRP: Sea duck zone and OSWZ.
    Judge: You can be in 2 zones at once? Can you shoot scoter in OSWZ?
    NRP: Yes.
    Judge: I'm confused.
    NRP: Yeah me too.

Next 15 cases for the day will probably sound a lot like that.

11-87 killer and Mr_Mallard like this.
  4. Mayor of Seneca

Mayor of Seneca Elite Refuge Member

We looking at N.E. Coastal State's SD Zones language and Zone mapping for opportunity to improve understanding of MD OSWZ and SDZ. Their are Comar regulation limitations to these established Zones , unable to re-invent the wheel, just have it run much smoother.

5. carolina girl

"Maryland, Massachusetts, New
    Hampshire, New Jersey, New York,
    North Carolina, Rhode Island, South
    Carolina, and Virginia may select a
    Special Sea Duck Season in designated
    Special Sea Duck Areas. If a Special Sea
    Duck Season is selected, scoters, eiders,
    and long-tailed ducks may be taken in
    the designated Special Sea Duck Area(s)
    only during the Special Sea Duck
    Season dates; scoter, eiders, and longtailed
    ducks may be taken outside of
    Special Sea Duck Area(s) during the
    regular duck season, in accordance with
    the frameworks for ducks, mergansers,
    and coots specified above."

What is the alterative if the "Special Seaduck season" is not selected?

Last edited: Dec 13, 2016
  6. Mayor of Seneca

Mayor of Seneca Elite Refuge Member

Then you be like New York that doesn't have a SD Season. So far State's who do have the Sea Duck season and SD Zone also allow you to harvest SD after the SD closes in the regular duck season so we're not any different than they currently are now. Actually, their DNR regulation language cut & dry on SD Seasons and didn't find any situation their hunters having same issues with it as we are (YET) but it doesn't make any difference any way. When I attended the AFC meeting in Dover years ago, you have the other member State's you can lean and learn from each other how they manage their seasons and zones.

7. carolina girl

If we didn't have a "special seaduck season", we'd be better off as we could still harvest them up until the end of regular duck season, in the OSWHZ.

8. derek

derek Elite Refuge Member

It would run concurrent with duck, just as it currently does outside of the sea duck zone. You would also lose the ability to kill a limit 5 sea ducks AND 6 regular ducks (non-sea ducks) while in overlapping zones/seasons like it is now. I don't know much about peak sea duck numbers, but I wouldn't imagine you would be capitalizing on them during the October split.. I could be wrong there.

This does not affect me in the least as I do not target sea ducks - but heading in that direction is taking away opportunity IMO. Look at a different solution. Punishing everyone because the regs can be confusing doesn't seem fair. This isn't anything new.. we've always had the "special sea duck season" and "sea duck zone".. this is just the first year the sea duck dates didn't overlap the entire regular duck season.

The only difference in MD vs other coastal states (with special sea duck seasons)is we name our OSWZ.. in other states they could legally kill bluebills in their sea duck zones when sea duck season is not in, and they can't kill scoters then. I'm not seeing the confusion there that MD's regs seem to be generating.

Last edited: Dec 13, 2016
  9. carolina girl

You don't target them Derek, and to say I lack reading comprehension I find insulting. This thread doesn't have to go into that direction, made it 14 pages.

I could say the same about you, you weren't smart enough to pick up on the discrepancy

10. derek

derek Elite Refuge Member

MD and confusing zones is not limited to duck hunting... the rockfish regs/zones/seasons can be pretty challenging at times as well. Dnr made a pretty handy little interactive map of what areas were open, closed, C&R, trophy regs, etc for different dates... What if they made a similar map for the OSWZ/Sea duck zone?

http://dnr.maryland.gov/fisheries/pages/striped-bass-maps.aspx