Chesapeake Flyway Forum Sponsors

seaduck zone off shore waterfowl zone?

Discussion in 'Chesapeake Flyway Forum' started by carolina girl, Nov 30, 2016.

1. carolina girl

carolina girl Elite Refuge Member

they are similar, DNR doesn't do anything different, they keep reusing the same things cause no one thinks outside the box. They just recycle.

Ever notice these zones are similar to the crab pot zone too?

Cut and dry, seaducks come in X and they go out X, why is that so complicated

2. Mayor of Seneca

Mayor of Seneca Elite Refuge Member

That's why I looked up North how other the State's did their Mapping and do like the different color codes that were used but so it seems N.E. States just have the 1 zone for Off Shore and Coastal. Several of the States run the zone up the rivers to the first bridge. We're complicated with TWO Zones with such different yardage from shore in several counties. So what do you guys think moving in the direction of fisheries type mapping would that make it easier?

Derek,

I'm still stuck in in the flip phone generation like Fred Flintstone what if their were "Apps" on your smart phone GPS capable showing you anchored in the right zone. If not able day I'm sure it will be soon but still need to clarify in the meantime. Thanks for the map big help

3. derek

derek Elite Refuge Member

Well, Maryland could absolutely go to 1 zone - Make everything huntable into the 1 zone that would be your "special sea duck area" where you could also gun for regular ducks. The flats and those few other areas that didn't overlap before would then be sea duck zone, not a big deal. Plain and simple, if your hunting offshore in this zone, you must follow the sea duck season/limits in order to kill sea ducks.

4. derek

derek Elite Refuge Member

What about dates? to the guys that target them.. are you not satisfied with the Nov5-Jan13 dates? The state certainly has the flexibility to be able to push it out to the end, it would just involve starting it later.

5. carolina girl

carolina girl Elite Refuge Member

6. Mr_Mallard

Mr_Mallard Senior Refuge Member

I like the 1 zone idea it would make everthing so much easier!!