SeaFoam

Discussion in '4x4 / Truck Forum' started by Hally, Oct 21, 2013.

1. Hally

Hally Elite Refuge Member

Anyone ever use this in their truck? I have a 2005 Silverado w/138,000. Tail pipe is getting awful black. Have I waited too long to try this?

Any info would be great.

2. Windrider

Windrider Elite Refuge Member

I've used it in the gas and sucked it into the top end of a triton that was sludged up from sitting for years.

I'll give it the official good stuff rating.

3. Hally

Thanks for the reply.
    Do you think it's better to suck it into your TE or adding would adding to the gas be good enough?

4. Windrider

Windrider Elite Refuge Member

Depends how bad it is.

I'd run it through the gas first.

Sucking it into the top end was a fairly extreme effort. The after effects are hadron the cats. You can kill a bunch of Mosquitos with the after effects.

5. Hally

:l that's why I'm sketchy about the TE part. I heard doing it at night is best.

I think I'll try it in the gas first.

6. Chad L.

Chad L. Senior Refuge Member

I would run the tank of gas down to about 1/8th or less and do a "shock treatment and put a couple cans in. Drive it around for a while normal driving, with an occasional full power run to help blow some of the crap out. If you get alot of smoke doing this I would do a second shock treatment, then once completed I would go ahead with the upper engine treatment through the brake booster. I have been running seafoam as a treatment every 40-50,000 miles and it always seems to make it idle better and gets the mileage back. I also have a 2005 Silverado Crewcab 5.3 auto 4x4 with over 145,000 miles still running very strong.

7. Hally

Thanks for the info Chad.
    After your shock treatment and then a possible TE treatment, have you changed the plugs? Some say you need to, some say no.

That's what I'm finding when I search SF...
    "Do it this way."
    "No, do THIS way."

BTW, I love my 5.3.

8. that1guy

that1guy Refuge Member

BG also makes stuff called 44k that works very well better than sea foam from my uses check it out as well

9. Chad L.

Chad L. Senior Refuge Member

I have never changed the plugs after a treatment, then again never felt the need cause the truck was running so smooth after the treatment. Plugs are pretty cheap so changing them can't hurt after the treatment.

My brother used to use BG formula's in all his cleaning machines. His distributor moved and he was no longer able to get it, liked that stuff as well and ran it in the fuel injection (44K), Motor (MOA), transmission, Super cool ect.....

10. Fowlballer

Fowlballer Elite Refuge Member

I have been using Seafoam every 10k since I bought my 5.4 F 150. I finally changed the plugs at 125k. They didn't break a single plug and they told me they didn't need to be changed. Most shops at least break 2 plugs per 8 with a tune on the 5.4.