Chesapeake Flyway Forum Sponsors

sean mann baiting????

Discussion in 'Chesapeake Flyway Forum' started by 11-87 killer, Nov 22, 2013.

1. 11-87 killer

11-87 killer Senior Refuge Member

saw this today (Queen Anne?s County ─ Acting on a citizen complaint Thursday, an officer went to a field in Queenstown just off U.S. 50 at about 10 a.m. and found a hunting party. Sean Mann, 51, of Trappe, received a citation Thursday for hunting over bait. The officer seized two Canada geese.

The case is scheduled for January 8 in Queen Anne?s District Court. The maximum fine is $500) anybody know if this is true? he doesnt seem to be the kind of person from talking to him

2. drahthaarducker

drahthaarducker Elite Refuge Member

Many years ago a member of the DNR down here was cited for baiting by a federal officer.

The tractor cutting grass had a tire run over some standing millet.

The case did not hold water once it got to federal court in Baltimore.

Knowing Sean , I'm sure there is more to the story.

3. Backpeddler

Backpeddler Elite Refuge Member

Sean has already posted the account on his facebook page. He will not make further comment till after the case has been heard. I can tell you this. I hunted that same field on the opener with some wounded soldiers and I saw no baiting issues.

We had a farm in Chestertown once that we hunted for years. Never a problem until one day a guy in the club goes down to hunt the afternoon and finds ears of corn spread around the pit and shelled corn dumped in the pit. He had his daughter with him and did not hunt but cleaned up all the corn and called DNR. They met us the next morning at the farm and deemed the pit safe from bait but the fact we told them it had been baited by someone they made us not hunt it for 10 days. So if someone has an axe to grind they certainly can screw you.

4. rbr

rbr Elite Refuge Member

Unfortunately MD's (unfair) strict liability law virtually eliminates presumed innocence that the courts already ignore when it comes to hunting violations.

I hope fuge members resist the urge to slander Sean Mann over this.

Bert

5. MNapier

MNapier Elite Refuge Member

I don't know Sean like you guys do. However, I would find it hard to believe he was baiting. Also, the first BS red flag that goes up for me is the "acting on a citizens tip". Yeah, ok. Talk about suspicious. I'm sure a lot of concerned citizens on Rt. 50 were calling about the "bait" they could see from the road. Highly doubt that.

6. joecitrano

joecitrano Senior Refuge Member

I call bs.if field was baited they would have more than two geese.

7. BuzzTheDecoys

BuzzTheDecoys Elite Refuge Member

Foiles turned him in :dv

8. chad

chad Elite Refuge Member

Anytime someone calls NRP about baiting, they're probably the haters that put it there. I hope NRP took the contact info from the informant and does a thorough investigation.

9. bird junkie

bird junkie Elite Refuge Member

I dont believe Sean Mann is that kinda guy. And there is no way they were still in the field if it was baited at 10:00

10. kahunna

kahunna Elite Refuge Member

Maryland does not have a law against feeding/baiting birds to deter hunters? Virginia has had a law against willfully impeding hunting by placing bait/salt in areas used by hunters since 1988.