Chesapeake Flyway Forum Sponsors

sean mann baiting????

Discussion in 'Chesapeake Flyway Forum' started by 11-87 killer, Nov 22, 2013.

1. eyeonyou

eyeonyou Elite Refuge Member

Not sure where your information is coming from, but having personally been involved in this situation since the beginning, I can say that you have no clue about the facts. I was not the charging officer, actually I was on a Mandatory 30 administrative duty prior to retiring. During that period, I talked with Sean, and the officers involved and had about the case, prior to and following the charges that were placed. You are so far off base degrading the officers involved. One officer who was there is a senior officer with close to 30 years of service, and probably one of the Best I had the opportunity to work with. The other is a Younger officer and who too is one of the best Younger officers to come along in a long while. No one was trying to be a Hero, only working the complaint as it was reported. Get off your High horse, and let this die. Nothing good can come from your uniformed, negative banter. The case is on the Stet docket, everyone else is moving on with life and so should we. No need to talk negative about Sean or the officers involved in this case.:tu

2. kahunna

kahunna Elite Refuge Member

May have missed this in the posts, but correct me if I am wrong...having a Maryland case not tried and placed on the stet docket is not the same thing as having the charges in that case dropped (nolle prossed), is it? Also, I thought that a stet docket case usually contained requirements of the defendant for the period of time (until the case can be removed and the record purged) that the case is on the stet docket?

3. honga

honga Senior Refuge Member

Kahunna you are correct.

4. muddyduck

muddyduck Elite Refuge Member

I'm under the impression that the charges are being dropped.

5. MNapier

MNapier Elite Refuge Member

Hey, I'm sure Sean is a great guy and he didn't knowingly bait anything. I see no reason why he would ever have to. However, you guys are beyond naive if you don't think there are favors and other deals happening from time to time that have nothing to do with innocence or guilt.

6. dugan

dugan Refuge Member

Damn Kahunna, if I didn't know better, I would think you are the attorney in the family, not your son David ( allegedly).:clap

7. pamungus

pamungus Elite Refuge Member

We have a guy in the fire department named "the hammer" might be related...Did you see them both in the shower to confirm?

8. Trevor Shannahan

Trevor Shannahan Elite Refuge Member

WOW at first I did think that MAYBE it was somebody looking to make a name for themselves, but looking at the officer I don't think that all now. He is a good dude and good officer.

No sense in bashing a guy for doing his job. Sometimes they have to follow procedure even if they think everything isn't as it seems

9. muddyduck

muddyduck Elite Refuge Member

The question should be, how did the grain get on the ground.

I wasn't going to bother looking the case up on Maryland Judiciary Case search because I already had my mind made up from things I heard from people close to the situation, but your post finally made me curious enough to look at the list of names of witnesses for the state and the defense.

Hmmmmm.....

If the landowner, the farmer leasing the farming rights, and other with direct knowledge were going to testify under oath what they knew of the situation it's no wonder the case was dismissed. The State had as much to lose as the defense, so this outcome was probably best for both. Could it all have been prevented?

IMO, if your gut instinct is that "everything isn't as it seems", shouldn't the prudent thing be to move forward with the utmost caution and find out exactly what the truth is before leveling charges... just like Honga took the time to do in his milo situation?

"It is better that ten guilty persons escape than that one innocent suffer" use to be a principle of law.

Seems to me now it's more like just the opposite is being applied in many situations. I see the term "strict liability" being tossed around in regards to baiting and live decoy situations, both of which could also be interpreted differently depending on each officer or circumstance. That in itself seems very unfair to innocent people who might get caught up in a case where they had no ill intent.

Let me make myself clear, I want to see the cheaters caught, but not necessarily at the expense of all of us.

10. Trevor Shannahan

Trevor Shannahan Elite Refuge Member

Idk what the procedure is nor do I pretend to know so I really have no clue how it should have gone down. All I know is in my gut I feel Sean wouldn't and had no reason to bait, but on the other hand I also feel that at least one officer in particular wouldn't make up the case just to make a splash.

I have no idea as to what went down, but in my mind it was something that occurred while farming or that some neighbor/neighboring hunter was out to get Sean. It wouldn't be the first time either of these happened.